Common module names for JSRs?

Werner Keil

Apr 19, 2017, 4:36:46 AM4/19/17
to Dmitry Kornilov, unit...@googlegroups.com
Dmitry,

I noticed, JSR 374 API also has a Java 9 Module-Info:

Is it already used e.g. via a special profile, or it is just for information purposes?

And what's the reason for calling it "java.json" rather than "javax.json"?
I saw, that even package names introduced by former JSRs like "javax.activation" turned into module names like "java.activation.common", so is there a guideline by Oracle/JDK team to just call them "java" regardless if they are part of the JDK or extensions?

There is also a JEP under OpenJDK for JSON: http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/198

Does JSR 374 using a module name like "java.json" mean, this JEP is dead and will never be revived? Otherwise there could be a clash over a module name like "java.json" in the future;-)

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Apr 19, 2017, 10:22:59 AM4/19/17
to Dmitry Kornilov, unit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the update. So leaving any possible clash with a future revived JEP (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/198 is not Closed / Withdrawn like some others) aside, we could also consider a pattern like "java.measure" for JSR 363 (and as of now there is no JEP or plans in OpenJDK, so anything that might enter the platform would likely be based on JSR 363 anyway;-)

Cheers,
Werner

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Dmitry Kornilov <dmitry....@oracle.com> wrote:

Hi Werner,

Yes, we added JDK9 support. JSON-P can be used as a Jigsaw module now. There are no naming conventions for module names. We named it like this based on the current package name and module names used in JDK itself.

Thanks,

Dmitry