java.net going away

Werner Keil

Feb 27, 2017, 6:55:02 AM2/27/17
to Units Developers
Hi,

Many of you may have heard, that java.net will be shut down in less than 2 months from now.

As we did with Google Code earlier (though it is still there, just read only) all relevant sources of JSR 275 (used Kenai.com before it was stopped) were mirrored in our GitHub organization (which is mainly due to a download frenzy of over 130k in just 12 months, check https://bintray.com/keilw/maven/javax.measure%3Ajsr-275#statistics if you want, it's only to preserve the history of JSR 275 code, no warranty or support especially not after 363 went final) For other material like the Kenai.com page I requested a Tarball and URL forward, but so far there has been no result by Oracle. If we don't get it, the code should be sufficient.

JSR 363 started on GitHub right from its beginning. The only notable use of java.net was a few downloads https://java.net/projects/unitsofmeasurement/downloads and the JIRA issue tracker.
Some file downloads were already transferred to Bintray: https://bintray.com/unitsofmeasurement/downloads. Unfortunately Bintray only shows download stats for up to 30 days, everything else is lost (or you had to pay for) but I guess we can live with that. The Maven stats last longer, that is the more interesting one also see JSR 275.

All relevant modules including API or RI have GitHub issue trackers already, e.g. https://github.com/unitsofmeasurement/unit-api/issues.
If there is an export from JIRA, then we would gladly use that, otherwise selected tickets could be copied over somehow as a history, while others may be lost.
Should there be an easy way to get a "dump" of those mailing lists, then that could ba an alternative for JIRA as all tickets and updates are also archived there already.

Regards,
Werner

Jean-Marie Dautelle

Mar 1, 2017, 2:27:07 AM3/1/17
to unit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Werner,
Do we have any stats on Jsr 363  ?
Thanks,
Jean-Marie

Werner Keil

Mar 1, 2017, 3:17:26 PM3/1/17
to Units Developers
Hi Jean-Marie,

Stats, in what way, the JIRA tickets that are open on java.net or the total number of tickets?

Cheers,
Werner

Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2017 08:27:07 UTC+1 schrieb Jean-Marie Dautelle:
Hi Werner,
Do we have any stats on Jsr 363  ?
Thanks,
Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie Dautelle

Mar 1, 2017, 11:01:13 PM3/1/17
to unit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Werner, in term of download vs Jsr-275. Cheers. JM

Werner Keil

Mar 2, 2017, 2:58:35 PM3/2/17
to Units Developers
IC, as mentioned in the GitHub project news recently, JSR-275 is still booming (for an unknown reason, but it must be a GeoAPI implementation based on the 0.9.4 release) with

Total downloads: 136,166

(select '1 year')

vs. JSR-363 with

Total downloads: 3,552

(select '1 year')

Martin told me in Seville, the latest GeoAPI version switched to JSR-363, but it'll take time before implementations or projects like Apache SIS and others pick it up. Right now Apache SIS uses GeoAPI 3.0.1 RC1, but to my knowledge only GeoAPI 3.1 (http://www.geoapi.org/ currently SNAPSHOT) will switch to 363, so until GeoAPI 3.1 is published on MavenCentral and similar places it is unlikely we'll see a massive boost in downloads compared to JSR-275 right now.

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Mar 7, 2017, 4:40:42 PM3/7/17
to Units Developers
I will mention that separately (either new thread or an existing one) but as of last week both CQs for JSR 363 were approved by Eclipse Foundation: https://java.net/jira/browse/UNITSOFMEASUREMENT-156

So the API one also means, LocationTech or other users of GeoAPI at Eclipse are good to use JSR 363 via GeoAPI 3.1 as soon as that is published and gets a new CQ or an update to the 3.0 one.

Once that happens we may slowly see the download numbers shift over time.

Werner Keil

May 15, 2017, 6:20:35 AM5/15/17
to Units Developers
As of May 12, java.net was effectively shut down.
All URLs point to an "Under Construction" page now.

Except a small number of links (mostly email addresses e.g. java.net aliases used by some EG members) everything was changed in the project site already. See https://github.com/unitsofmeasurement/uom-parent/issues, most of the java.net related ones are closed now.

Regards,
Werner
This conversation is locked