[VOTE] New API element for Measurement Level

Werner Keil

Oct 17, 2018, 9:06:26 AM10/17/18
to Units Developers
Hi,

To support operations on certain quantities like Temperature we want to introduce a classification to improve and correct calculations on particular quantities.
The classification is commonly known as Level of Measurement

https://github.com/unitsofmeasurement/unit-api/issues/130 is the GitHub issue ticket to vote, you may also reply here with a +1 for each choice, if you don't have a GitHub account.

So far we have one vote each. The general naming pattern by the JDK itself and other frameworks would suggest "MeasurementLevel", but in documents it is often referred as "Level of Measurement". So both could work, but the Wikipedia article itself start with a big caveat: "Not to be confused with Units of measurement" thus I would also prefer MeasurementLevel here, although we used SystemOfUnits for another SPI element, but that explicitly deals with multiple units rather than just a single unit.

Please vote, I know there is Oracle Code One coming up next week, so unless a large number of votes for either option makes it clear where preferences lie, let's keep the vote up till the end of next week after OC1 and ECE.

Thanks,
Werner

Werner Keil

Oct 22, 2018, 8:05:35 AM10/22/18
to Units Developers
Hi,

Thanks everyone who voted. We got a decent turnout and while some are at OC1 or ECE (including myself on Community Day in Ludwigsburg) most of the active participants cast their votes, so the result as of today is:
B) +4
C) +2
A) +1

So based on the votes and arguments for or against different options, the most significant option receiving the most votes is "LevelOfMeasurement".

Thanks everyone who participated,

Werner
This conversation is locked