Overgeneration when using Morphological dictionary-graphs

Alexis Neme

Jul 23, 2022, 8:30:55 AM7/23/22
to Unitex-GramLab
Hello,

when adding the morphological dictionary graph to analyze "afebrile" , the same graph generates an unnecessary analysis of "around" (see below)

around  has the following overgenerated analysis: {a,.PFX} {round,.A}
Does somebody have an idea of the solution?

Thanks
Alex

afebrile_around.jpg

eric.laporte

Jul 25, 2022, 3:24:23 AM7/25/22
to Unitex-GramLab
Hi Alexis, if you don't want your morphological dictionary graph to describe around as the adjective round with the prefix, you can insert a mark in the entry of this adjective in the dictionary and use the mark in the graph. Or insert around in a negative right context in the graph.
Best,
Eric

Alexis Neme

Jul 25, 2022, 9:15:32 PM7/25/22
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric

<<< Or insert around in a negative right context in the graph.
Solution 2 is better (less time-consuming), and we can insert <DIC> to avoid this overgeneration for all adjectives
and it works! (see below)

However, Page 142 (user Manuel )there is an omission in
  6. Left and right contexts are forbidden.

we should add : "but negative right context  are allowed."

Thanks, Eric

image.png

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 9:57 PM Alexis Neme <alexi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Eric

<<< Or insert around in a negative right context in the graph.
Solution 2 is better (less time-consuming), and we can insert <DIC> to avoid this overgeneration for all adjectives
and it works! (see below)

However, Page 142 (user Manuel )there is an omission in
  6. Left and right contexts are forbidden.

we should add : "but negative right context  are allowed."

Thanks, Eric

image.png

eric.laporte

Jul 26, 2022, 5:02:11 AM7/26/22
to Unitex-GramLab
Dear Alexis, that's strange, maybe the negative right context (NRC) didn't work in fact in your screenshot of July 25. (On this screenshot, around is not analysed as the adjective round with the prefix, but neither is afebrile. I tested two versions, 3.1 and 4.0 alpha, and both refused the NRC in morphological mode. They displayed a message 'Unexpected use of contexts in morphological mode' during the application of the morphological dictionary-graph (MDG), they ignored the NRC and when I constructed the FST text, around was still analysed as the adjective round with the prefix, just like when there's no NRC.)
Fortunately you don't need to insert the NRC in morphological mode. What I meant was a MDG like this one, and it works.

discussion-juillet-2022.png