Java Exception: Issues when using the Lexicon-Grammar graph

Jorge Baptista

Jul 26, 2014, 2:52:51 AM7/26/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Using Unitex 3.0, I am trying to intersect a table with 2 columns and 1800+ lines, consisting of a list of nouns and a list or verbs (in both cases these are <lemmas>), with a reference graph in order to produce a general resulting graph that will enable me to look for all the {V,N} combinations in a corpus.
In the noun column, there is only one lemma per line; in the verb column, there can be one or multiple lemmas, separated by the “+” (plus) sign.

The Lexicon-Grammar compilation goes smoothly, and I can compile each subfile individually and I can also apply each file separately to the text (everything works fine).

BUT I am unable to compile the result-graph (resulting from the intersection of the reference graph and the table with 1800+ lines) and there is a  “ERROR”message being displayed. The fst2 is void (0 bytes). Also, the Locate Pattern, can not compile this  result-graph, very lijkely for the same reason.

The console indicates:

"/Applications/Unitex3.0/App/UnitexToolLogger" Grf2Fst2 "/Users/Jorge.Baptista/unitex/Portuguese (Brazil)/Dela/Fazer/res-graph.grf" -y "--alphabet=/Users/Jorge.Baptista/unitex/Portuguese (Brazil)/Alphabet.txt"

The information provided in the Java Exception window is shown below.

Could you please help me identify the problem and eventually find a solution for it?
Thank you a lot.

Yours truly
JB

Java Exception
Revision date: (September 25, 2012)
Java revision Number: r3334
C/C++ revision Number: r3335
System: Mac OS X

java.lang.NullPointerException
at fr.umlv.unitex.frames.LocateFrame$LocateDo.toDo(LocateFrame.java:573)
at fr.umlv.unitex.frames.ProcessInfoFrame$2.actionPerformed(ProcessInfoFrame.java:125)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2346)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6527)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3321)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4883)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2292)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4898)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4533)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4462)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2278)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:746)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:697)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:691)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:75)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:719)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:717)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:75)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

eric.laporte

Jul 27, 2014, 3:45:41 AM7/27/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jorge,

If the table has more than 1800 lines, the main generated graph probably invokes more than 1800 subgraphs. Maybe this goes beyond some threshold. You could check this hypothesis by repeating the experiment with only a sample of the table, say, 25 lines.
Yours

Eric

Jorge Baptista

Jul 27, 2014, 7:28:27 AM7/27/14
to Eric Laporte, unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eric,

Thank for your swift reply!
Yes, it worked fine: I split the table in 3+ parts of 500 lines each, and the system compiles the result graph and can then apply it to the text.
I did the same with 1k and 1,5k lines.
Apparently, there is limit to the size of the result-graph or the number of subgraphs.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try to keep in mind the threshold
Regards

Jorge Baptista

Denis Maurel

Jul 29, 2014, 5:38:46 AM7/29/14
to Jorge Baptista, Eric Laporte, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jorge,

If you have then a lot of graphs for your grammar, you can use a cascade to parse a text with all the graphs.

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

Dear Eric,

Thank for your swift reply!
Yes, it worked fine: I split the table in 3+ parts of 500 lines each, and the system compiles the result graph and can then apply it to the text.
I did the same with 1k and 1,5k lines.
Apparently, there is limit to the size of the result-graph or the number of subgraphs.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try to keep in mind the threshold
Regards

Jorge Baptista
♻ Consider the environment before printing this e-mail !