An improvement of the user experience regarding box selection

Nebojsa Vasiljevic

Nov 4, 2013, 6:14:38 PM11/4/13
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Unitex users,

Most of us have experienced problems with the box selection in the Unitex graph editor. Some of the common couches are:
- user didn't click at the right place, and the box is not selected;
- user unintentionally made a very small mouse move during a click, and the editor considered it as a drag, not a select action;
- some boxes are marked as selected, but behave as unselected.

I've tried to at least partially solve the problems on the base of those ideas:
- implement rollover highlight for boxes: Unitex will highlight the area where user should click to select a box;
- small mouse moves (up to the some threshold) should be ignored when clicking;
- clear both selection list and  selection flags of all boxes when unselecting all boxis, and also unselect after undo.

If you want to try how the solution looks like, just run Unitex.jar from the attachments of this post. There is also Java source patch attached.

I would appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks,
Nebojša Vasiljević

Unitex.jar
unitex-2013-11-04-select.patch

Denis Maurel

Nov 5, 2013, 4:30:46 AM11/5/13
to Nebojsa Vasiljevic, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Nebojsa,

It is fine! I just tried it.
After some other experiments, someone can put this improvement in the Unitex package?

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

eric.laporte

Nov 6, 2013, 4:55:24 AM11/6/13
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nebojša,
I tested your update on Windows XP, it works fine.
Thanks for this update that will make easier the life of authors of local grammar graphs.
Eric Laporte

Fanny Grandry

Nov 6, 2013, 5:27:16 AM11/6/13
to Nebojsa Vasiljevic, unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot. Really a great improvement !

--
Fanny Grandry
NLP Engineer ◆ Evercontact ◆ www.evercontact.com

+33 1 55 43 79 20 ◆ 15 rue Jean-Baptiste Berlier 75013 Paris

Nebojsa Vasiljevic

Nov 7, 2013, 9:41:45 AM11/7/13
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

Thank you form your feedback. I have just committed those changes into the Unitex source code repository, and consequently they will become part of the next Unitex release.

If you can't wait, I suggest you to download latest Unitex beta release, install  it in a new folder and replace Unitex.jar using the attached file from my original post. In this case GramLab IDE will also use updated graph editor.

Regards,
Nebojša Vasiljević

Fanny Grandry

Nov 8, 2013, 9:37:49 AM11/8/13
to Nebojsa Vasiljevic, unitex-...@googlegroups.com
I used to open a subgraph in the graph editor by clicking on its name with the middle mouse button. But since I've used the new version of Unitex.jar, this functionality doesn't work anymore.
​It would be nice if you could take a look...​

Best regards,

--
Fanny Grandry
NLP Engineer ◆ Evercontact ◆ www.evercontact.com

+33 1 55 43 79 20 ◆ 15 rue Jean-Baptiste Berlier 75013 Paris

Nebojsa Vasiljevic

Nov 8, 2013, 11:30:57 AM11/8/13
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Nebojsa Vasiljevic
Fixed.