Interpretation of negative right contexts

Daniel Stein

Mar 10, 2014, 6:36:06 AM3/10/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if I do understand the behavior of negative right contexts. Which interpretation for the following grammar is correct?

![<NAME>]<N>

a) All nouns that are not preceded by a name

b) All nouns that are not also names

After reading the manual I thought it has to be a) but my results seem to reflect that b) is the correct interpretation...

Thanks in advance

Denis Maurel

Mar 10, 2014, 8:34:45 AM3/10/14
to Daniel Stein, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Daniel,

It is b) All nouns that are not also names

to implement a), you have to add a box with a token only
![<NAME>]<TOKEN> <N>

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

Daniel Stein

Mar 12, 2014, 5:26:06 AM3/12/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Stein, denis....@univ-tours.fr
Dear Denis,

thank you very much, this is great.

The only change I made is that I inserted a left context after the token in order to get the wanted results:

![<NAME>]<TOKEN>*<N>

Kind regards
Daniel

Daniel Stein

Mar 13, 2014, 8:19:50 AM3/13/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Stein, denis....@univ-tours.fr
Hello again,

after some tests I found out, that there is a shortcoming in this solution:

![<NAME>]<TOKEN>*<N>

<N> will not match as well when there is no token on the left side (e.g. at the beginning of a paragraph). Do you know if it is possible to exclude certain contexts while still allowing the non-existence of a context?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Denis Maurel

Mar 13, 2014, 8:27:20 AM3/13/14
to Daniel Stein, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Daniel,

There is always a <TOKEN>, for instance {S}!

Except at the begining of the text...

May be you can use {S} * <N>?

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

Hello again,

Daniel Stein

Mar 13, 2014, 9:35:35 AM3/13/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Stein, denis....@univ-tours.fr
Hi Denis,

you are right, the only situation with no preceding token is the beginning of the text, my fault. This reduces the impact of the problem but unfortunatley, {S}*<N> does not seem to be a solution.
I could insert a special token at the beginning of all my texts but I would prefer a solution that is not a workaround...

Any ideas?

Kind regards
Daniel

Fanny Grandry

Mar 13, 2014, 9:59:03 AM3/13/14
to Daniel Stein, unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Professor Denis Maurel
Hi Daniel,

You could use this special token {^}, that represents the start of the text ({$} represents the end of the text), in your left context.
Another solution would be to add a {S} during the preprocessing when this special token {^} is matched.
Hope it helps

Best regards,

Fanny

--
Fanny Grandry
NLP Engineer ◆ Evercontact ◆ www.evercontact.com

+33 1 55 43 79 20 ◆ 15 rue Jean-Baptiste Berlier 75013 Paris

Daniel Stein

Mar 14, 2014, 3:00:29 AM3/14/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Stein, Professor Denis Maurel
Hi Fanny,
thanks for your help! I already tried to use ^ but did forget { } - now it works! Perfect :-)
Kind regards
Daniel

Am Donnerstag, 13. März 2014 14:59:03 UTC+1 schrieb Fanny Grandry:
Hi Daniel,

You could use this special token {^}, that represents the start of the text ({$} represents the end of the text), in your left context.
Another solution would be to add a {S} during the preprocessing when this special token {^} is matched.
Hope it helps

Best regards,

Fanny

eric.laporte

Mar 20, 2014, 1:23:11 PM3/20/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Daniel,

As regards your initial question, the manual gives interpretation b (section 6.3.1, fig. 6.15).