Suggestions for Unitex UI

Daniel Stein

Mar 19, 2014, 6:53:37 AM3/19/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Hello together,

I've got several suggestions for the User Interface I would like to make/discuss; I hope it is okay to gather them all in this post.

Kind regards
Daniel

1. Alignment buttons in toolbar
It is rather annoying that you have to open the alignment dialogue many times in order to align complex graphs. I would suggest to add buttons as similar as in text processors (for left, center, and right) in the respective toolbar.

2. Search bar in "Word Lists" window
Searching through the "Word Lists" window is a hard task, especially if there are large corpora involved. It would be much easier if a search bar would be integrated at the top so you can enter some characters in order to filter the list up to the one expression you are searching for. This should also apply for the part beyond the "." so you can filter for all "V" or all "ms"

3. Show only one instance in "Located Sequences"
Adding a mark on "Show only one instance" in the "Located Sequences" window would result in a concordance in which only one instance of every match is shown.

4. Press "Escape" in order to leave box content unedited
Pressing escape while editing the content of a box should stop editing and leave the box in the original state.

5. Spacing
The grid is a nice solution to organize graphs. But some snapping to the grid lines would also be useful. Also a way to get a bunch of marked graphs to have the same spacing to each other in one direction would be very useful.

6. "Grid completion"
Ok, this is a hard one; I am not sure if this is actually possible, but after editing a lot of grammars that contain many parallel graphs I would really appreciate a way to connect all left boxes with the respective right boxes with less clicks. I attached an image to clarify what I am talking about.

7. Print "map"
Again a hard one; I would love to print/save as image/pdf a "map" of all the grammars that are linked to a certain one - although I am not quite sure how this map could look like. I could imagine something like a flow chart or similar.
ScreenShot003.jpg

Denis Maurel

Mar 19, 2014, 9:06:35 AM3/19/14
to Daniel Stein, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Daniel,

Very interesting suggestions. I appreciated particularly 1-5.

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

Daniel Stein

Mar 19, 2014, 9:45:45 AM3/19/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
8. Press "Delete" or "Backspace" in order to delete the marked box(es)

Denis Maurel

Mar 19, 2014, 10:29:03 AM3/19/14
to Daniel Stein, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Daniel,

I don't understand: actualy, you can do it with DELETE and ENTER that is fine...

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

8. Press "Delete" or "Backspace" in order to delete the marked box(es)

Daniel Stein

Mar 19, 2014, 11:02:43 AM3/19/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Stein, denis....@univ-tours.fr
Hi Denis,

thank you, I was not aware of this possibility. I am okay with it, but let's say that only DELETE would be a bit more intuitive ;-)

Daniel

Denis Maurel

Mar 19, 2014, 11:17:38 AM3/19/14
to Daniel Stein, unitex-...@googlegroups.com
No, because DELETE delete the text in the box and you can write another on or not... and ENTER

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

Hi Denis,

Daniel Stein

Mar 19, 2014, 11:25:27 AM3/19/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Stein, denis....@univ-tours.fr
Ah, I understand. I've seen it from the point of marking more than one box (with different contents) - in this case pressing DELETE changes nothing - at least at first glance. But also with the next click or ENTER everything marked is going to be deleted.

Daniel

eric.laporte

Mar 20, 2014, 1:03:55 PM3/20/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Daniel,

Your point 4 has been implemented a few weeks ago. Please download the latest version. I liked your other suggestions.

<<

4. Press "Escape" in order to leave box content unedited
Pressing escape while editing the content of a box should stop editing and leave the box in the original state.

Best,

Eric

Daniel Stein

Mar 20, 2014, 1:14:08 PM3/20/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eric,

thanks for the advice, now I have installed the new version!

I have another suggestion (and I hope that making a lot of suggestions does not appear to be ungrateful - in the contrary!)

9. Insert box-button
A button in the toolbar to create an empty box between two marked boxes would be very useful.