suggestion for behaviour of FSGraph menu in Unitex interface

eric.laporte

Feb 14, 2014, 11:16:52 AM2/14/14
It's OK that the 'FSGraph/Tools/Compile FST2' menu item of Unitex does not operate when no graph is selected, but I suggest it should issue an error message such as 'FSGraph Compile: first select the graphs to be compiled'. Presently, nothing happens if you click on this item when no graph is selected: in my experience, many users believe the graph has been compiled whereas it has not.
A graph is selected when its title bar is displayed in a bluer colour than its tool bar.
May I have opinions of other users?

Denis Maurel

Feb 14, 2014, 5:40:04 AM2/14/14
to eric.laporte, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Eric,

It is a good suggestion...

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

It's OK that the 'FSGraph/Tools/Compile FST2' menu item of Unitex does not operate when no graph is selected, but I suggest it should trigger an error message such as 'FSGraph Compile: first select the graphs to be compiled'. Presently, nothing happens if you click on this item when no graph is selected: in my experience, many users believe the graph has been compiled whereas it has not.

A graph is selected when its title bar is displayed in a bluer colour than its tool bar.
May I have opinions of other users?

Nebojsa Vasiljevic

Feb 14, 2014, 5:03:28 PM2/14/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

I agree, this is an issue. There are more options that are not applicable when selected frame is not a graph, like "Save as". The easiest way to fix it is to popup an appropriate message when you click on a non-applicable option.

General practice in GUI design is to disable (gray out) or hide a menu option when it is not applicable, but it would require a little bit more work to improve the GUI in this way.

Regards,
Nebojša

On Friday, February 14, 2014 10:15:21 AM UTC+1, eric.laporte wrote:
It's OK that the 'FSGraph/Tools/Compile FST2' menu item of Unitex does not operate when no graph is selected, but I suggest it should issue an error message such as 'FSGraph Compile: first select the graphs to be compiled'. Presently, nothing happens if you click on this item when no graph is selected: in my experience, many users believe the graph has been compiled whereas it has not.

Nebojsa Vasiljevic

Feb 15, 2014, 2:54:44 AM2/15/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Now I see that there are disabled (grayed out) options in Text, DELA an Lexicon-Grammar menus (try it when nothing is open).

So, we should implement "disable when not applicable" feature for the FSGraph menu options too.

Regards,
Nebojša

eric.laporte

Feb 15, 2014, 10:29:07 AM2/15/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Yes Nebojša, that would be great. -- Eric

Nebojsa Vasiljevic

Feb 17, 2014, 8:01:37 AM2/17/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eric and others,

I have implemented this feature (disable (gray out) non-applicable menu items in FSGraph menu). You can download Unitex.jar and source code patch from:

If you find out this works fine, I will commit the changes into the Unicode repository.

Regards,
Nebojša Vasiljević

Denis Maurel

Feb 17, 2014, 9:35:32 AM2/17/14
to Nebojsa Vasiljevic, unitex-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nebojsa,

I tried it
Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Denis Maurel

____________________________________
Professor Denis Maurel
Université François Rabelais Tours
LI (Computer Science Research Laboratory)
EPU-DI
64 avenue Jean-Portalis
37200 Tours
France
Phone: 33-2.47.36.14.35
Fax: 33-2.47.36.14.22
mailto:denis....@univ-tours.fr

http://www.univ-tours.fr/maurel

http://www.li.univ-tours.fr
http://tln.li.univ-tours.fr/

Dear Eric and others,

I have implemented this feature (disable (gray out) non-applicable menu items in FSGraph menu). You can download Unitex.jar and source code patch from:

If you find out this works fine, I will commit the changes into the Unicode repository.

Regards,
Nebojša Vasiljević

eric.laporte

Feb 18, 2014, 7:54:17 AM2/18/14
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nebojša,

On Monday, 17 February 2014 14:01:37 UTC+1, Nebojsa Vasiljevic wrote:
<<
I have implemented this feature (disable (gray out) non-applicable menu items in FSGraph menu). You can download Unitex.jar and source code patch from:

If you find out this works fine, I will commit the changes into the Unicode repository.

I made a few tests with Unitex-jar-2014-02-17a.zip from:https://sites.google.com/site/unitexnv/
 and I found it OK.
Thanks,

Eric Laporte