Spanish inflection

Fernanda López Martínez

Oct 26, 2016, 10:06:55 AM10/26/16
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Unitex Team!

We'd like to know if you could help us with this:

Spanish verbs inflection for imperative form with clitical pronouns modifies the root of the verb:

Example: entrar (V:W) ---- entra (V:Y2s) ----éntralo (V:Y2s+lo)
         cortar (V:W) ---- corta (V:Y2s) ----córtamelo (VY2s+melo)

Does Unitex have somme tool to convert unaccent variables in characters with an accent? The variable could be anyone of the vowels of spanish alphabet, even for the same inflectional group of verbs.

Thanks,

Fernanda López & Stavroula Voyatzi

Alexis Neme

Oct 27, 2016, 2:48:01 AM10/27/16
to Unitex-GramLab
Hi

>>> Does Unitex have somme tool to convert unaccent variables in characters with an accent?
If you want to modify the verb stem in the imperative, normally, you must generate both variants with a feature enclitic/no_enclitic ( for instance ) ,
there is a straightforward way with the Semitic inflection (cf.Manual 3.5).
Dont forget to insert a "$" before the inflectional code in the DELAS.

         entrar (V:W) ---- entra (V:Y2s) ----éntralo (V:Y2s+lo)         =>  é<2.LEMMA>L
         cortar (V:W) ---- corta (V:Y2s) ----córtamelo (VY2s+melo)  => 1ó<3.LEMMA>L

Cheers,

eric.laporte

Oct 27, 2016, 4:10:30 AM10/27/16
to unitex-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fernanda and Stavroula,
Unfortunately, the Unitex/GramLab manual does not presently mention any inflection operator that would add an acute accent on a vowel.
You have to make a distinct graph for each vowel. To reach and accent the last vowel before ar, you can use LL<e$>é$, LL<a$>á$, LL<i$>í$ and so on (manual, section 3.5.2), and LLL<i$>í$i for aliviar, and so on.
An operator adding an acute accent on a vowel would allow you to conflate several inflection classes in Spanish, since it would apply to all vowels. But then you would also need to reach the last vowel before the infinitival suffix, and the solution above does not work at the same time for all vowels. So, you would have to split back the inflection class according to the number of letters between the vowel and the end of the stem, unless the <X$Y> operator (manual, section 3.5.2) is extended so that X can be a regular expression.
Best regards,
Eric Laporte

Stavroula Voyatzi

Oct 28, 2016, 11:47:14 AM10/28/16
to Unitex-GramLab
Hi,

Thank you for your useful tips :-)

We managed to find a solution to our problem :
(1) [Yes @Eric !] distinct graphs for each vowel... so five graphs in Spanish.
(2) The joint use of the £ and $ operators (manual, section 3.5.2, see example of the German verb sprechen).

Best regards,
Stavroula & Fernanda