Arabic phonetic keyboard

Omar Al Zabir

Jan 12, 2015, 2:23:30 AM1/12/15
to united...@googlegroups.com
Assalamu Alaikum,
I have made an Arabic keyboard Layout for Windows and Mac, which is a phonetic keyboard, based on the research done by the Intelleran group. It makes sure the most frequently Alphabets are available in least amount of key press. Moreover, I have optimized it to type Arabic with harakah. Hope you will like it. Any feedback welcome:

Please see:

Ali Adams

Jan 12, 2015, 5:10:15 AM1/12/15
to Omar Al Zabir, united...@googlegroups.com
ma sha Allah brother,
may Allah guide you to serve Islam more and better in sha Allah.
See this too

Ai

Jan 12, 2015, 8:04:32 AM1/12/15
to Omar Al Zabir, united...@googlegroups.com
Salam all,

May I suggest that you design a keyboard with all 37 letters (28 + standalone hamza + taa marboota + elf mqsoor + 5 different elfs + waw withhamza + yaa with hamza) and then use AltG for fatha / kesra / dhamma and Shift+AltG for tanween feth / tanween kesr / tanween dham
based on how many times you press it (once for fatha, twice for kesra, thrice for dhamma) or something similar.

And the letter order should be design for shortest path for most common of Arabic words

I can help with such research if you choose to go this route.

Salam

Ali

ء
ا
أ
إ
ٱ
آ
ب
ت
ث
ج
ح
خ
د
ذ
ر
ز
س
ش
ص
ض
ط
ظ
ع
غ
ف
ق
ك
ل
م
ن
ه
ة
و
ؤ
ي
ئ
ى

image

Quran and Prime Numbers
Additive Prime Numbers
Preview by Yahoo

Jan 12, 2015, 8:30:50 PM1/12/15
to Omar Al Zabir, United-quran
Salam brother Omar,

They already did a great work.

Please see the attached phonetic layout and let me know if this is acceptable.
I am constrained by the 26 Latin letters.

Fi amaani Allah,
ArabicKeyboard.xls

Ali Adams

Jan 14, 2015, 9:57:48 AM1/14/15
to islamic striver, Omar Al Zabir, United-quran
Salam brother and  I AGREE TOTALLY.

Please see version 2 where I used the whole keyboard for all basic letters accessible directly without using Shift or AltG.

Brother Oman please see the attached QuranKeyboard.xls.

One letter is giving me headache :)
Elf memdooda (آ) which is not Uthmani letter. It is a simple plain Elf followed by a med sign/haraka (ٓ). Other vowels (waw and Yaa) are also followed by med sign sometimes in the Quran (قَالُوٓا۟ or يَٰبَنِىٓ). However Emlaai Arabics treat it as a single letter and never use med with Waw and Yaa.

So I should either add three versions of these as single letter each or drop the elf-memdood all together.

For now I hid it behind the Alt+g key.

Any thought?

See the attached QuranKeyboard.xls.

Ali

Jan 14, 2015, 10:05:48 AM1/14/15
to Ali Adams, islamic striver, United-quran
Many thanks! let me start modifying the layout.
OmarALZabir.com/Charity

Omar Al Zabir

Jan 14, 2015, 10:08:27 AM1/14/15
to Ali Adams, islamic striver, United-quran
Curious, what are these for?
ڤ
پ
ژ

ڪ
گ

OmarALZabir.com/Charity

Ali Adams

Jan 14, 2015, 10:37:58 AM1/14/15
to Omar Al Zabir, islamic striver, United-quran
Thank you brother :)
Ali

Jan 15, 2015, 1:39:37 AM1/15/15
to Ali Adams, Omar Al Zabir, United-quran
Also check attached

I tried to type equipvalent letters for buckwalter ARabic letter images.
keyboard 2.xlsx

Omar Al Zabir

Jan 15, 2015, 2:33:32 AM1/15/15
to islamic striver, Ali Adams, United-quran
Aha, Buckwalter! That's right, if it is not there in Buckwalter, we do not need it in the keyboard. Clever!

--
OmarALZabir.com/Charity

Omar Al Zabir

Jan 15, 2015, 2:40:14 AM1/15/15
to islamic striver, Ali Adams, United-quran
--
OmarALZabir.com/Charity

islamic striver

Jan 15, 2015, 3:01:07 AM1/15/15
to Omar Al Zabir, Ali Adams, United-quran
Brother Ali mentioned 69 characters while Buckwalter has only 60, those 9 should also be accommodated i.e. Total should be 69.

Regards,

islamic striver

Jan 15, 2015, 3:05:11 AM1/15/15
to Omar Al Zabir, Ali Adams, United-quran
Also will it be able to type from English Keyboard also like Eiktub?

islamic striver

Jan 15, 2015, 3:10:33 AM1/15/15
to Omar Al Zabir, Ali Adams, United-quran
Also check:
http://www.qamus.org/transliteration.htm
"...The full Arabic character set can be viewed at the Unicode website:

Arabic: U+0600 to U+06FF (PDF format)
Arabic Presentation Forms-A: U+FB50 to U+FDFF (PDF format)
Arabic Presentation Forms-B: U+FE70 to U+FEFF (PDF format)

The TITUS page for U+0600 through U+06FF displays the actual characters in your browser (UTF-8 encoding).

You can test your web browser's Arabic Unicode support at Alan Wood’s Unicode Resources website.

The Microsoft developer website has a useful table of the Arabic Windows (1256) and ISO 8859-6 code pages and their corresponding Unicode values...."

Ali Adams

Jan 15, 2015, 4:34:48 AM1/15/15
to islamic striver, Omar Al Zabir, United-quran
Thank you brother for the reminder,

I think all these are already covered since QuranCode internally use these in the Grammar Edition :) which can be accessed using CTRL key at the start when launching QuranCode.

Ali

Jan 15, 2015, 11:10:36 PM1/15/15
to Ali Adams, islamic striver, United-quran
I have put three types of meem, middle ha and middle kaaf on the keyboard.

Is there a separate character for Idhgam?

Please feel free to put the alphabets on the shared sheet. The green ones are for us to play with.

islamic striver

Jan 15, 2015, 11:41:40 PM1/15/15
to Omar Al Zabir, Ali Adams, United-quran
If you also set some mechanism to type directly using English keyboard like Eiktub, this keyboard can be the Number 1 tool on Arabic Typing.

Regards

Omar Al Zabir

Jan 15, 2015, 11:57:00 PM1/15/15
to islamic striver, Ali Adams, United-quran
Good idea. I will try to write some software for it one day, in shaa Allah.
--
OmarALZabir.com/Charity

Ali Adams

Jan 16, 2015, 2:49:17 AM1/16/15
to Omar Al Zabir, islamic striver, United-quran
Salam all,

Brother Omar, there should be 3 separate characters for tanween idghaam (not idghdam itself).

But tanzil's Text uses tanween + subscript meem for produce tanween idghaam (always subscript meem not superscript):

ًًۭ
=
ً
+
ۭ
AND
ٍۢ
=
ٍ
+
ۢ
AND
ٌۭ
=
ٌ
+
ۭ

So if we can make this a single key stroke, that would be most useful.

Thank you,

Ali

Jan 16, 2015, 11:24:27 AM1/16/15
to Omar Al Zabir, united...@googlegroups.com, islamic striver
I cannot speaCk :) from a phone.
All because of BT's Let's Talk :)
Ali

I can only speack for Iraqi Arabic. We use many of the Kurdish and Turkish Farsi letters I put in the original design.
I also like to repeat my plea for V and P to use Baa with 3 dots and for P as Faa with 3 dots so as not to confuse those like myself using English only physical keyboards.
Finally all Elf Was Yaa with hamza above should be accessed consistently either directly or with Shift as I did in the excel design. As for Elf with medd we should discourage it as most of the time Arabs use it instead of the proper Hamza followed by Elf. And of course no one uses Elf was which a crime against our kids and future Arabic usage and hence I put it outside with plain Elf and hid the Elf with hamza below behind it with Shift.
Hope you can understand my reasoning better now :)
Ali
From:"Omar Al Zabir" <omara...@gmail.com>
Date:Fri, 16 Jan, 2015 at 11:34

Ali Adams

[...]