Increase in crime - why????

missi_carmen

Aug 13, 2008, 8:48:42 AM8/13/08
to Union Square (Baltimore)
Hello fellow Union Square residents.

My husband and I moved to the area in January and were excited with
the house and neighborhood potential. Crime was relatively low,
neighbors were friendly, and life carried on. The past two months I
have seen so much more crime, I'm wondering why I moved to the
neighborhood. Neighbors down the street had their house broken into
in broad day light while she was home. Another had her garden tools
stolen out of her backyard. My plastic patio furniture was stolen
last week. And this past Saturday two houses next door to me were
BOTH broken into during the middle of the day!! This is ridiculous!

Last night I watched a helicopter circle over Pratt and Calhoun for
almost two hours. What is going on? Where is the police presence
other than in the air? What can I do? My house is locked down like
Ft. Knox but I'm tired of being afraid.

What can we do as a neighborhood? What action can we take at the next
meeting? How can we clean up this neighborhood to make it safer for
us to walk down the street in the daytime?

iv...@ccyd.org

Aug 13, 2008, 5:44:26 PM8/13/08
to missi_carmen, Union Square (Baltimore)
While I'm not thrilled about closing and gating the alleys in the neighborhood, I realize that safety and security come first.  I have information that the City has such a program when residents on both sides of the alley are in agreement. I'm not sure if approval by 100% of the residents or home owners is necessary. You can get more information by going to gre...@ashoka.org

Furthermore, I agree that this issue needs to be addressed at the next meeting at the beginning of September.

Ivan and Babette (1428 Hollins Street)

Ivan Leshinsky, Executive Director
Chesapeake Center for Youth Development

"Lifting Young Lives"