Fwd: New Math Symbols

Ulrik Vieth

Aug 31, 2010, 4:43:29 PM8/31/10
to uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

The following "Call for new symbols" came in a newsletter from
PCTeX today. While I do not want to discuss the specifics here,
it raises an interesting point which may be of general interest:

What is a reasonable subset of commonly used math symbols, given
that different families of math fonts (traditional or OpenType)
provide different subsets of math symbols (traditional or Unicode).

While a generic macro package such as "unicode-math" may define
control sequences for all of the symbols defined in Unicode,
some of them or even many of them will be missing in most fonts.

Would it be helpful to define a minimum set of commonn symbols?
Would it be helpful to define different "profiles" of symbols?
Just some food for thought.

Regards, Ulrik.

Sep 2, 2010, 6:52:42 AM9/2/10
to Unicode maths for TeX
My fisrt thought is: not YASfS! We already have Unicode and STIX.

To be more precise, this is the really worrying bit:

We have already had requests for many symbols that don't appear in
STIX.

Subsets of some Universal Standard are fine but having more than one
Universe
presents problems that are too large for the relatively small number
of obscure
symbols each uniquely covers.

Here I am not arguing that the slowly evolving Unicode Standard should
be this
Universal Standard, ratrher something like this:

-- for characters it could be something like Unicode PLUS a 'Unicode
Potential' list,
well maintained and moderated by established experts (with a majority
non-commercial!!),
so that it has some standing in the relevant communities;

-- for glyphs ... well, as ever, the relationship between characters
and glyphs is a minefield
and should probably not be standardised, so maybe things such as
variant glyphs and the evolution
(speciation) of variants into distinct characters should be in the
form of a moderated commentary
(plus a wiki-like forum for external ideas).

Cheers, chris