Unjosticle2 to C16

Roberto Pacioni

Mar 11, 2021, 5:37:21 AM3/11/21
to Unijoysticle

Hi all, I bought a "unjosticle2" (blue boxed version) from cespok_64, it works perfectly on the c64, amazing! But on the C16 the "red" led blinking and the computer writes random characters on screen. I used the Joystick adapters and tried on more than one c16.
Do I need to update the firmware?

Ricardo Quesada

Mar 11, 2021, 9:14:14 AM3/11/21
to Roberto Pacioni, Unijoysticle
Hi Roberto,

My guess, since I haven't tested on a C16, is that there might be an
issue in powering the Unijoysticle directly from C16.
I don't know the specs of the C16, but it might be possible that the
joystick ports don't have enough amperage to power the Unijysticle2.

The alternative is to power the Unijoysticle using an external
source... although if I recall correctly Cespok64's device doesn't
support it.

kopsec C64

Mar 11, 2021, 11:21:04 AM3/11/21
to Unijoysticle
The problem is, as Ricardo said, that joystick ports on C16 don't have enough power.

I have tested it with my new version including external power and it works like a charm.

So the solution is to add a external DC input by adding a DC jack in the box, or perhaps open a hole to gain acces to USB connector of mini ESP32.

Roberto Pacioni

Mar 11, 2021, 11:44:07 AM3/11/21
to kopsec C64, Unijoysticle
It's possible to open the box without damaging the board?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Unijoysticle" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unijoysticle/5cf85950-d471-40ea-adc3-c96e7b1ffe53n%40googlegroups.com.

kopsec C64

Mar 11, 2021, 1:20:43 PM3/11/21
to Unijoysticle

Remove the 4 screws and you will have access.

IMG_0918.JPG

You can add the DC jack on the right, the capacitor on the left is a fix for reloaded MKII.

The 2 wires should go to VCC and GND , where the capacitor is connected in the picture. There is a diode blocking power going to C64, so I think that a switch is not needed, but you can add if you want.

The other option is making a square hole to gain acces to micro USB connector in mini ESP32, you can mark the location, remove the module and make the hole.
In this way you can use a phone charger for it.

Ricardo could confirm if there is any problem in having power from USB and also from C64, there is a diode preventing poer from USB going to C64.

Ricardo Quesada

Mar 11, 2021, 1:47:40 PM3/11/21
to kopsec C64, Unijoysticle
> Ricardo could confirm if there is any problem in having power from USB and also from C64, there is a diode preventing poer from USB going to C64.

you should be fine. The diode was added for that.

Anecdote:
I was testing one of the early prototypes that didn't have the diode.
The Unijoysticle was connected to the C64, and also the Unijoysticle
was being powered by USB. I turned off the C64, and to my surprise the
C64 LED was still on!
What was going on ???
The Unijoysticle was giving some power to the C64 through the joystick
ports :) ... at least enough current to power the C64 LED.

Nothing bad happened, but to prevent that "what is going on" moment, I
added the diode.

[disclaimer: I never tested it on a C16]
[disclaimer 2: this is a hobby project, no warranties :) ]

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:20 AM kopsec C64 <kop...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Remove the 4 screws and you will have access.
>

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/unijoysticle/d20a1200-6e94-483f-bbf1-068b532a0008n%40googlegroups.com.

Roberto Pacioni

Mar 11, 2021, 5:50:54 PM3/11/21
to Unijoysticle

With external power up it work very well now, i need only to open hole in the box. Thanks

Giorgio G. Moscardi

Mar 12, 2021, 1:50:42 PM3/12/21
to Unijoysticle
This is probably because you have a "passive" adapter that will cause a "bouncing" ground. You should switch to an "active" one like this one: https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenC16JoyAdapter.

While you can work around the powering problem with an external power supply as others recommended, this will also provide the fragile TED with some ESD protection. Be careful to NEVER plug/unplug anything to/from the joystick port while the machine is powered on.

G.