New PCB and firmware platform for the Amiga

Giorgio G. Moscardi

Dec 27, 2020, 7:54:07 AM12/27/20
to Unijoysticle
First of all, thanks for this great piece of hardware/software.

I have tried to make it even better by making an Amiga-dedicated version. First of all this required a new PCB, which is available at https://gitlab.com/SukkoPera/unijoysticle2. The spacing between the ports needed to be altered, but I also made some other changes to allow for 2 buttons on both ports. That PCB (Amiga Rev A) was produced and tested fine with minor modifications to the original firmware.

Then I thought it would be nice to have CD32 compatibility (7 buttons), so I made further changes to the PCB and started porting the firmware from my OpenPSX2AmigaPadAdapter project (https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenPSX2AmigaPadAdapter). This is now almost complete, I need to get the new PCBs produced and do some more testing, then I will release it.

So I'm writing to ask if this is all OK for you, if my firmware (which is basically a new platform) will be accepted in the official Bluepad32 repo and if anybody is willing to help with the testing: I can send a few PCBs over for just shipping cost when they're ready.

One last thing: it seems the Discord link is broken, I cannot join the chat. Probably this is because it's just a link to a channel, but apparently it needs to include the server too, or be an invite. I'm not sure, I pretty much hate Discord tbh :), but please check it.

Thanks,
G.

Ricardo Quesada

Dec 27, 2020, 5:09:13 PM12/27/20
to Giorgio G. Moscardi, Unijoysticle
Hi Giorgio,

That's great news! Having compatibility with Amiga CD32 seems great.

Yes, please, send a pull-request to bluepad32 and I'll happily review it.

Discord server, try this one, I think the previous link had "expiration":
https://discord.gg/r5aMn6Cw5q

Please, take a look at this bug, you might want to add 1uF cap to the
7406 and a 1uF + 10uF to the ESP32.
https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/unijoysticle2/-/issues/17

Giorgio G. Moscardi

Dec 28, 2020, 7:13:47 AM12/28/20
to Unijoysticle
Thanks, I will submit the PR for the firmware as soon as it is ready.

I had already added some caps to Rev B of my board, but I added one more after your advice, thanks :).

I also found some bugs/inconsistencies in Bluepad32 during my development. Would you prefer discussing them here, on Discord (new link works, thanks!) or should I open Issues on GitLab?

Thanks!
G.

Ricardo Quesada

Dec 28, 2020, 11:53:55 AM12/28/20
to Giorgio G. Moscardi, Unijoysticle
> I also found some bugs/inconsistencies in Bluepad32 during my development. Would you prefer discussing them here, on Discord (new link works, thanks!) or should I open Issues on GitLab?

If you know it is a bug, yes, please file a bug in gitlab.
If you are not sure whether it is a bug, either discord or here works for me.

Thanks.