HIN # on 1977 Double Cabin

smurphny

Jul 7, 2020, 8:29:05 PM7/7/20
to UnifliteWorld
Is there some way to find the original HIN other than physically reading it? There seems to be no HIN except the USCG Doc number etched on the boat. Is there a factory embossed/plate on the '77? Is there a second HIN number hidden somewhere? None of the paperwork has an original Uniflite HIN mentioned anywhere.

Doug

Jul 7, 2020, 10:19:36 PM7/7/20
to UnifliteWorld

If there is a HIN, it should be listed on the CG Documentation document. My 1984 46’ Uniflite also has the HIN embossed in the fiberglass at the starboard corner of the transom about 4’ above the swim platform.

Kent Howell

Jul 8, 2020, 2:40:59 AM7/8/20
to UnifliteWorld
My 1974 42' AC, 73 36' AC and my 67 express all had the HIN embossed on the port side of the transom just below the belt line.  The numbers and letters were about 3/8th inch tall and embossed in the fiberglass and gelcoat.  If your boat has been repainted or re gelcoated the HIN may have been filled in.

Kevin McIntosh

Jul 12, 2020, 9:44:48 PM7/12/20
to UnifliteWorld
smurphny ... congrats on the purchase of your '77 42 DCS! ...

I have a '79 w. DD 6-71N's & MG-506 R & L gears ...

I can probably offer you a lot of help ... first things first ... the original HIN eh? ... if the exterior embossed / molded-in HIN below the rub-rail on the Stbd. side of the transom (hull portion) has been filled-in or painted over such that it is obliterated (examine this area carefully ... it had to have been there at one time ... along with a riveted-on ULC plate ... perhaps the HIN is merely filled-in and painted over ... it may not be physically, permanently obliterated - your call on whether digging into the surface is worth it), the USCG registry may have an associated record of the original HIN ... failing that, you should find the HIN suffix (1 alpha character & 3 numeric characters, which is typically not included as part of the HIN for official registry purposes) hand-written in black magic marker (by factory personnel during the build) on the back ends of drawers, the underside of the Master stateroom center-queen berth support plywood panels (2 - one of mine is marked 'H-199') or other similar places ...

My HIN is: UNF0nnnnM79G - 42H199, with only the 1st 12 characters appearing on official registry documents.

Yours may be: UNF0nnnna77a - 42annn, where 'a' equals a capital letter, and 'n' equals a numeric character ... I'd lay odds your suffix is 42Hnnn ...

Input your USCG # (6 or 7 numeric characters) here (in the 'Primary Vessel Number' field) and see what you find.

Kevin Mc
20180822_103726 (redacted).jpg
20180822_103736.jpg

smurphny

Jul 15, 2020, 3:25:25 PM7/15/20
to UnifliteWorld
Thanks Kevin. Great info. I can see where the metal plate must have been. There are faint rivet marks. Someone must have filled in the HIN during painting. I'm tempted to sand it down carefully to see if a number can be deciphered. So far no luck finding a hidden#. The USCG psix database has no factory id, only doc and imo. anyway...
Ripped out about 30 years of spaghetti wiring on the bridge yesterday:-) Going to run new feeds up for new electronics. The old, (obviously irrepairable) autohelm is next to go. Much of the electrical needs to be gone over. Too many outdated and/or cobbed components. The 6-71s have only around 1000 hrs and run well.
Thanks again
Steve Murphy
Message has been deleted

Kevin McIntosh

Jul 15, 2020, 4:24:32 PM7/15/20
to UnifliteWorld
Hey Steve ... yeah, depending on how much of a mess you want to make, digging around in the transom gelcoat, or, now, likely paint & fill (I myself would be a litte nervous at what might be found ... you have to ask yourself, why would anyone fill-in and obliterate that #? ... maybe best to leave sleeping dogs lie ... ) is one way to find the # ... can you see the outline of the long, narrow rectangular inset where the # is located? ... that would isolate any detective work you may undertake to the proper area at least ... there may be a non-destructive test method (ultrasound?  or ?) to 'see' the #'s below the fill, however, you'll have to research that out yourself ... if it's important enough to you ... I'm surpised you have not found the HIN suffix anywhere ... have you lifted the Master Strm. center queen plywood platform panels (2) and examined the undersides of the panels?

And, it sounds like your wiring ambitions / requirements outstrip mine by a fairly tall margin ... my thought is always to preserve a more original example of my DCS ... wiring included, with appropriate repairs and upgrades of course.  The wiring under my flybridge cowling has seen a few butchers in its' day to be sure, however, by and large, it is salvageable and I have been able to repair / neaten it up to my satisfaction.

I've posted a number of threads here seeking help with various wiring and other matters ... maybe search posts made by me and see if anything jumps out at you ... i.e. the original (to my vessel) wiring schematics I've posted and the original alarm wiring / alarm modules, ect. (the latter that I've since figured out how to repair by replicating the rectifier diode-populated modules [correct replacement value rectifier diodes identified as to part numbers and source(s), yet to be procured / built / installed] mounted to the inside of the flybridge Fwd cowl).

Good luck!

Kevin Mc

George Miller

Jul 15, 2020, 9:53:29 PM7/15/20
to UnifliteWorld
Hey Steve my 31’ has the vin # also in the fiberglass for my helm, some one wrote it in marker before it was painted at the factory
I also have it under or on the sides of some of my drawers. While not a set in stone type thing could be a good double check
I figured they used hin number to keep track of certain parts for certain boats during the build..... I also have a smiley face with Fitz 6\78
Under the spice rack in the galley always wondered who Fitz was and how many he did, for a few reasons we named the boat Miss Fitz partly in honor Of him.

smurphny

Jul 16, 2020, 4:49:18 AM7/16/20
to UnifliteWorld
Hi George,thanks for that info. I will have a closer look under and over everything. Yesterday I installed a new transducer up forward and did not notice anything in the bilge. It is hard to imagine that no one kept the factory records on these boats for future reference unless they went up in the factory fire.

smurphny

Jul 16, 2020, 5:13:30 AM7/16/20
to UnifliteWorld
Yes, makes one wonder. One of the previous owners got a Maryland issued HIN in 2010, likely because they also could not find a number. I would like to know the earlier history of the boat. My previous boat, a '67 Alberg 35 was also difficult to trace back but did have the original aluminum plate in a drawer. I may need to try contacting previous owners or brokerages.

George Miller

Jul 16, 2020, 7:08:03 AM7/16/20
to UnifliteWorld
Hi Steve having trouble posting so hope. Not a duplicate. On my 32 sport sedan on the fly bridge there was magic marker of the hin put on the outside of the fiberglass before it was painted, I can see it while working under there but need a light to make out each number, also while refinishing the wood work we found it on the sides and or bottom of some of the drawers, while not a permanent hin it looks like they were using the hin number on parts to dhow what vessel they were being made for, we also found under the spice rack in the galley a smiley face with the writing Fitz 6-78 and with that and a few other things we named the boat Miss Fitz.

Kent Howell

Jul 16, 2020, 4:36:49 PM7/16/20
to UnifliteWorld
At one time Sea Cure in Bellingham had a computer print out of every Uniflite built.  There may be some way for you to narrow down you boat if you have the build date or the name of the first owner it was delivered to. I found my boat on that print out but that was 14 years ago.