single use inverter help

Bob S

Jun 2, 2020, 9:18:42 AM6/2/20
to UnifliteWorld
For many years I've had an AC DC ice maker on my 42 and it finally gave up the ghost. I found a perfect size replacement however it's only 110. I would like to install a single-use inverter for just the ice maker and wondered what size and type I would need. Any suggestions? Also is there a tool or a switch I can buy which would direct the shore power 110 to the ice maker and switch to the inverter in the event we are travelling and the 110 power is lost.

Jay Lo

Jun 2, 2020, 11:32:22 AM6/2/20
to UnifliteWorld
Blue sea makes the switches but are expensive. Find the power draw of the ice maker usually stated in amps and multiply by 110 for the watts. Your inverter needs to be 1.5 times the draw. Remember though that the draw from your batteries will be high ie for 1000 watts count on at least 100 amps battery draw for the inverter. Good luck

Bob S

Jun 2, 2020, 12:28:41 PM6/2/20
to UnifliteWorld
Perfect Jay, thanks. I will look at the Blue Sea switches. Regarding the inverters amp draw, I assume it would only draw that amperage if the ice making unit was on and "pulling" and would draw nothing if the unit was not in use.

Paul Jennings

Jun 2, 2020, 4:22:27 PM6/2/20
to UnifliteWorld
Purchase a sinewave converter so it can be used at dock on ac, on on water on dc.
I have an apartment sized refrigerator on my boat, self defrost 12.3 cf and 1/4 the price of a high priced boat fridge.

Jay Lo

Jun 2, 2020, 6:00:16 PM6/2/20
to UnifliteWorld
If the unit is turned off it won't draw power but most ice makers don't store ice, they are on continuously and remake cubes from the melting ice on the bottom. If the unit does store ice then the freezer is still running to keep it frozen. Do you have a regular fridge freezer on board? If so make ice at the dock and bag it. Then when under way use a yeti type cooler to hold it. They are usually good at holding ice for 2 or 3 days. The cost of the switch is about the cost of the cooler.

Jay Lo

Jun 2, 2020, 6:01:54 PM6/2/20
to UnifliteWorld
Also you won't need the inverter.

Bob S

Jun 7, 2020, 7:38:27 PM6/7/20
to UnifliteWorld
Jay, decided to take your advice and just use it on shorepower or generator. So far so good. Thanks