Window seals - rebuild, replace, parts, process??

Tod duBois

Aug 10, 2020, 5:03:49 PM8/10/20
to UnifliteWorld
My windows on the Uniflite 36 cabin are leaking and the sliding back door needs to be rebuilt or replaced. So looking for direction on both:

1. Sliding windows in salon all need new sliders - these appear to be HDPE or other similar material to slide the glass on - maybe TAP plastics?

2. Actual gaskets for the windows as well, and advice on how to pull apart, look2 like small screws on interior to open the frame.

3. Rear slider - it sorta works but is pretty shot, options include trying to re-wheel but frame and pane on one side is tweaked - replacement with double pane slider - custom sized likely best option.

4. Bathroom fan - what have some of you done to get humidity and aged air out of the bathroom?

berni...@aol.com

Aug 11, 2020, 3:19:33 AM8/11/20
to UnifliteWorld
Hi Tod,

Other than your windows and ventilation issues I hope you enjoying your boat.

I have a 1973 42 aft cabin which originally had what I refereed to as FrankenWindows. Those lovely stainless steel welded window frames with a million screws that promote leaking and unbelievably bad engineering that does not promote opening of the windows. I tried everything to make those old ugly things redeem themselves and finally gave up and bought all new window from a company near Los Angeles called Heit. They are an RV, bus and semi truck window company which bought a marine window company some years back.

The results are fantastic. After eight years the windows still open, close and lock with minimal maintenance beyond flushing the tracks occasionally with a hose. They weren't cheap, a few thousand dollars, but the results are what every 70's boat owner dreams of. If you zoom in on the pictures you can tell which is before and after.

Most likely when your windows were installed they used butyl tape instead of caulk to seal between the window frame and boat cabin walls. That often fails and allows water to intrude into your boat and ruin the interior wood and wood core of the cabin walls. All of that is mostly repairable.

You mentioned double pane windows in your questions. A boat neighbor actually went to Home Depot and ordered vinyl replacement windows like people install on their houses and stuck them on his boat. They looked horrendous and had no business being stuck on that poor boat. Just so you know, I'm not rich and not a boat snob but if you're going to modify your boat at least use marine parts. There are already enough vessels out there with rusty drywall screws and romex wiring installed by clueless or lazy fools who are wasting time by trying to save a buck and endangering themselves and their passengers.

As for venting your head (bathroom). I live in a fairly dry climate in Southern California's central coast so opening the head portlight (bathroom window) after showering is enough. There's also a overhead hatch in the forward head on my boat that gives plenty of ventilation. If you're interested in mechanically venting the room an exhaust fan could be installed. Maybe look at engine room vent fans. They're not quiet but they are approved for boat use.

You also mentioned something about a sliding hatch. If it's rotted wood you can build a new fiberglass one fairly inexpensively.

You've got a great boat there and hopefully you'll enjoy it for many years. I'm happy to answer any questions or send more pictures of the work I've done on mine
Original Fleur De Lis.JPG
Boat yard Leaving Bell Port Boat yard sept 2011 #13.jpg

George Miller

Aug 11, 2020, 7:33:19 AM8/11/20
to UnifliteWorld
I had posted previously about the sliding rear doos on here but to recap the rollers are on a offset shaft that aluminum star shaped end is designed to turn to lower and raise the doors. I took my doors apart to get them out but realized if you drill the shaft in the middle out the door will drop down and can then be removed. Swisco makes the replacement rollers for the door. My door stops were removed so afterward I put hooks in to keep the doors from moving when a wake goes by they will slide that easy,,also the small set screw that locks the height adjuster in place is perfect foe maintenance, just remove screw stick the red straw from can of silicone and squirt,then put back screw.
My head has engine blower behind a vent cover behind the toilet for venting head yes a bit noisy but effective just leave door open a bit so fresh air gets in....good luck and enjoy.

berni...@aol.com

Aug 11, 2020, 10:59:53 AM8/11/20
to UnifliteWorld
Great advice George.

Hunter

Aug 11, 2020, 9:07:12 PM8/11/20
to UnifliteWorld
Any idea if i can buy the felt somewhere?

Tod duBois

Aug 27, 2020, 11:54:32 PM8/27/20
to UnifliteWorld
Can't seem to find the Heit window company - any more specific brand name or website?

Hunter

Jun 20, 2021, 12:02:41 AM6/20/21
to UnifliteWorld
Did you ever have any luck on this?

berni...@aol.com

Jun 20, 2021, 1:34:18 AM6/20/21
to UnifliteWorld

If you're having trouble finding the Heit window company just google "clamp in RV windows".

Tod duBois

Jun 20, 2021, 4:52:36 PM6/20/21
to UnifliteWorld
No I have not, everyone on this list with original windows has the same problem - somebody muct know.

georgev...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2021, 9:46:12 AM6/21/21
to UnifliteWorld

While I wish I could be of more help I recall someone doing research and finding out that particular felt could no longer be had.
I had to repair my sliding doors one of them I took apart and looked for the welting, I searched web sites that gave all the dimensions
And could not find a exact match, even went to two glaziers and they both said no way, lucky for me it was just setting a pane of glass and I used what was good and used black silicone for the rest. You may have to find a replacement indeed ...good luck.