Venting

Steve Murphy

Jul 27, 2020, 1:59:35 PM7/27/20
to UnifliteWorld
Sorry to post so many questions but am still going through and learning about this boat's systems. This question is about the vent strips on port and starboard sides. I am assuming they are to provide enough air for the 6-71s. Can anyone explain why these are not a potential severe flooding issue? That is a lot LOT of area for water ingress in certain sea conditions. As a previous offshore sailor, I am used to boats constructed so that they can survive most sea conditions (usually better than their crews). I cannot imagine how much water could potentially come in through so many square FEET of hull opening.

Hunter

Jul 27, 2020, 7:06:17 PM7/27/20
to UnifliteWorld
I have had the same concern.  I wondered if anyone knows of an aftermarket solution that could be bolted in.

There should be a baffle behind the vent that is sloped up so that water that slaps against the hull will drain back outside unless it has enough energy to go through the fents then up and over the baffle.  But if a wave hits the side of the boat, ya a lot of that will go in the hull as far as i can tell.  Those baffles on my boat are brittle out and probably would break if that happens.  So if you find a replacement solution please share.
thanks
Hunter

George Miller

Jul 27, 2020, 7:47:47 PM7/27/20
to UnifliteWorld
While I rebuild my own gasoline engines and am no expert in the field my next vessel will have twin diesels, with that said I have done hundreds of hours of researching all things diesel some detailed some not what I did find interesting was besides the fact that diesels love a lot of air some boat manufactures did not allow enough ventilation for the engines to breath correctly which of course no engine will do well trying to breath. One owner mentioned opening a hatch while full under way was almost impossible due to the suction, one surveyor mentioned he had put a gauge to measure air pressure while testing some boats that were refits so with that in mind if you change the design make sure to at least keep the same amount of sq inches.