Emulate LSI-11 CPU?

Steven Hirsch

Apr 20, 2021, 6:03:35 PM4/20/21
to UniBone
Is QBone hardware capable of emulating an LSI-11 CPU?  If so, is anyone working on the necessary software?

Steven Hirsch

Apr 21, 2021, 9:15:27 AM4/21/21
to UniBone
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021, Joerg Hoppe wrote:

>> If so, is anyone working on the necessary software?

> It's on my eternal TODO list ... not top of stack.

If you have an architecture or design in mind, I would be interested in
helping. I have some familiarity with BBB PRU coding as I helped David
Gesswein a little with mfmemu.

Andrei Warkentin

Apr 5, 2024, 2:11:25 AMApr 5
to UniBone
What is the current state of 'dc' mode in QBone? I realize the CPU emulation is not wired up, but is QBone capable of acting as the arbiter for the bus? I've got a KDJ11-B which appears to support some kind of practically undocumented 'slave mode', which would be easy enough to verify if QBone can handle the arbitration....

Joerg Hoppe

Apr 5, 2024, 3:35:19 PMApr 5
to uni...@googlegroups.com
Am 05.04.2024 um 08:11 schrieb Andrei Warkentin:
> What is the current state of 'dc' mode in QBone? I realize the CPU
> emulation is not wired up, but is QBone capable of acting as the
> arbiter for the bus? I've got a KDJ11-B which appears to support some
> kind of practically undocumented 'slave mode', which would be easy
> enough to verify if QBone can handle the arbitration....
You mean: is QBone executing DMA or INT protocol as master?

No, thats part of a potential CPU. UniBone however does.

Jörg

Andrei Warkentin

Apr 6, 2024, 3:00:35 AMApr 6
to Joerg Hoppe, uni...@googlegroups.com
Hypothetically, those could be separate concerns.

For example, KDJ11-B aside, MicroVAX KA630 MP support relies on running one master (arbiter) and up to 3 slaves. So in an envo where all CPUs are bus slaves, QBone could be the master. Forgetting about CPUs for a moment, a QBus that is an arbiter can be used to test DMA on devices :-).

With CPU emulation, it's interesting to run that in slave mode as well... ie bringing an emulated slave LSI-11 into a system for...experiments :-).