Booting 2.9BSD with a real 11/23+

Chris Cureau

Apr 17, 2024, 10:54:57 AMApr 17
to UniBone
Hi there,

I'm trying to get 2.9BSD running on my 11/23+ with a 2M board along with the qbone serving as my disks. I'm using the 2.9BSD-MSCP SIMH images to get started with, which can be found at https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.9BSD_MSCP/29bsd-simh.tgz

I've translated the simh options file as so:

simh:

; enable MSCP devices
set rq enabled
set rq0 rd53
attach rq0 29bsd-sms-rd53.rd
set rq1 rx33
attach rq1 29bsd-sms-rx33.lbn
set rq2 disabled
set rq3 disabled

qbone:

en uda
en uda0
sd uda0
p type RD53
p image 29bsd-sms-rd53.rd
en uda1
sd uda1
p type RX33
p image 29bsd-sms-rx33.lbn

And here's the output on my console:

KDF11B-BE ROM V0.9

 2048KB MEMORY
9 STEP MEMORY TEST
  STEP 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
TOTAL MEMORY ERRORS =     0
CLOCK ENABLED
TRYING UNIT DU3

ERROR UNIT DU3
ERR 13 DRIVE NOT READY
WISH TO REBOOT [Y,(N)]? n

Type ? for HELP
Enter one of [Boot, Diagnose, Help, List, Map]:b

Type ? for a list of devices
Enter device name:du0
TRYING UNIT DU0

BOOTING FROM DU0
40Boot
: ra(0,0)unix

I never get any more output.

Are there things that I'm missing here, or am I doing something wrong with the MSCP emulation?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Cureau

Apr 17, 2024, 12:58:58 PMApr 17
to UniBone
I just did a restore from a tape using vtserver, and unix boots...so I think it must have something to do with the boot block. More investigation will happen.