anyone elso have/had hesitant plugging Qbone/Unibone into internet?

Robert Myers

Apr 17, 2024, 8:22:09 PMApr 17
to UniBone
I'm a little bit hesitant on cabling my Qbone into the internet (afraid
of affecting my WIFI router adversely).

Am I being too paranoid?

Mark Matlock

Apr 17, 2024, 10:41:08 PMApr 17
to Robert Myers, UniBone
When you plug the QBone into your Ethernet network, it will use DHCP to get a local TCP/IP address and then just sit there since it is a typical BeagleBone / Linux system. It should not affect your WiFi at all.

The great utility of the QBone on ethernet is that you can use SFTP on your PC to move Simh disk images or disk images from bitsavers etc. to it and then modify the scripts to use them. Also, with RT-11 format disk images you can use the shared directory capabilities to move files directly into the RT-11 environment.

I have three QBones and two UniBones running in my local network when all the PDP-11s are going.

Best,

Mark

> On Apr 17, 2024, at 7:22 PM, 'Robert Myers' via UniBone <uni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a little bit hesitant on cabling my Qbone into the internet (afraid of affecting my WIFI router adversely).
>
> Am I being too paranoid?

Joerg Hoppe

Apr 18, 2024, 1:00:57 AMApr 18
to UniBone