UniBone DL11 connection to FANUC paper tape reader https://www.learningpdp11.com/pdp-11-basic-analysis/ punch

Mark Matlock

Nov 20, 2022, 8:37:09 AM11/20/22
to UniBone
Joerg, All,

   I tried the zkma.cmd script and it worked fine to let me know that my 16W core memory board does not have any problems. I also copied the Basic-11 paper tape file from http://avitech.com.au/?page_id=709   into the directory for memory.sh and used the

m lp DEC-11-AJPB-PB.ptap

command to load Basic-11 into memory. Then using my M9301 board’s console (or this could use the UniBone M9312 emulation ) commands

$L 16104
$S
PDP-11 BASIC, VERSION 007A
*O<CR>
READY

to start Basic-11. I also could start it from the front panel with 16104 on 11/05 panel, Load, & Start of course. I am attaching the paper tape file and the manual in case anyone else needs it. The Basic11 source listing is available online but a really good reference on Basic-11 can be found at:

https://www.learningpdp11.com/pdp-11-basic-analysis

   Basic-11 has a mechanism to SAVE programs to paper tape at 176550 and I have that FANUC paper tape reader punch that uses RS232. I’ve been wondering if I could use the UniBone serial DL11 to talk to the FANUC by changing its CSR address to the one used by the high speed paper tape?
That would give me a way to SAVE and LOAD Basic-11 programs. On page 7-1 of the attached Basic-11 manual the start-up options are discussed. If you hit a <CR> to the *O Basic-11 will use the high-speed paper tape device if it exists. This is located at (see page D-1) 177550, thus if we could set the UniBone secondary DL11 at 177550 and the CSR bits match the expected behavior of a PC05 we should be able to use the RS232 connection to the FANUC paper tape unit.

   Also, I’d really like to get RT-11 running on the PDP-11/05 but I’m still puzzling that one out. Since, Basic11 uses Console DL11 reciever interrupts and TRAP commands, I think my CPU boards are handling interrupts ok, DMA is ok because XXDP runs, and my memory board passes the ZKMA diagnostic, but when I try to boot RT-11, I get the one line boot message RT-11 V3.0 SJ then a bunch of characters spewed to the console that are mostly ^Gs. Any ideas on that problem would be appreciated.

Best,
Mark

DEC-11-AJPB-PB.ptap
BASIC_Programming_Manual_Dec70.pdf

Joerg Hoppe

Nov 20, 2022, 10:14:30 AM11/20/22
to uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
> to start Basic-11. I also could start it from the front panel with 16104 on 11/05 panel, Load, & Start of course. I am attaching the paper tape file and the manual in case anyone else needs it. The Basic11 source listing is available online but a really good reference on Basic-11 can be found at:
>
> https://www.learningpdp11.com

Nice, decoding BASIC in 26 steps ... but who is "davcor" ?

> Basic-11 has a mechanism to SAVE programs to paper tape at 176550 and I have that FANUC paper tape reader punch that uses RS232. I’ve been wondering if I could use the UniBone serial DL11 to talk to the FANUC by changing its CSR address to the one used by the high speed paper tape?
> That would give me a way to SAVE and LOAD Basic-11 programs. On page 7-1 of the attached Basic-11 manual the start-up options are discussed. If you hit a <CR> to the *O Basic-11 will use the high-speed paper tape device if it exists. This is located at (see page D-1) 177550, thus if we could set the UniBone secondary DL11 at 177550 and the CSR bits match the expected behavior of a PC05 we should be able to use the RS232 connection to the FANUC paper tape unit.

As the highspeed papertape controller PC11 and the DL11-W are almost
identical, an UART CSR change to 777550 is worth a try!

However the PC11 controller has a "Reader Enable" bit, which starts the
reader motor. On the FANUC you would have to do this by hand, or have
they an "START" signal too?
If yes, UniBone's DL11 could be extended to generate an GPIO signal on
"reader start".

kind regards,

Joerg

All differences between PC11 and DL11 are:

Receiver Status 777560 / 777550
PC11: Bit15 is error
PC11: Bit 0 is "Reader enable", starts the reader motor
DL11-W: Bit 0 also "Reader enable for ASR33 on 20mA. No func on RS232.

Receive Buffer 777562 / 777552
DL11: Bit<15:12> are RS232 format error indicators.

Transmit Status 777564 / 777554
PC11: Bit 15 is Error
DL11: Bit 2 = Maintenance loop back, Bit 0 = Output BREAK level

Transmit Status 777566 / 777556
Same for PC11 and DL11

Mark Matlock

Nov 20, 2022, 10:36:52 AM11/20/22
to Joerg Hoppe, UniBone

Hi Mark,

I don’t know who davcor is, but his blog has some great info. https://www.learningpdp11.com/pdp-11-basic-analysis

[...]

Thanks for the encouragement

However the PC11 controller has a "Reader Enable" bit, which starts the reader motor. On the FANUC you would have to do this by hand, or have they an "START" signal too?

The read motor can be started from a button on the FANUC, but also can operate in “REMOTE” mode.
As far as the reader enable bit, I’m not sure yet that it has an exact bit match, but it does seem to have a similar command.

If yes, UniBone's DL11 could be extended to generate an GPIO signal on "reader start”.

That’s a good thought too in case an external switch signal is the best way to do it.

kind regards,

Joerg

Thanks for the info below, it is VERY helpful!!