Qbone on micro vax as disk replacement, performance?

roelof...@yahoo.com

Aug 19, 2022, 10:32:01 AM8/19/22
to UniBone
I've got a question from a friend about the Qbone and how it performs when replacing a disk in a micro vax. Since I don't have a Qbone and don't have any vaxes I thought lets ask here.

If I'm right there were some big disks which can be emulated (in the range of 1GB). Is this a suitable alternative for a scsi disk on a UC07 for example?

Regards, Roland

Joerg Hoppe

Aug 19, 2022, 10:37:57 AM8/19/22
to uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Mark Matlock made some Benchmarks under RSX11-M+, and found QBone to be
faster than real disks
(thanks to the SDcard).

Joerg

Mark Matlock

Aug 19, 2022, 11:58:39 AM8/19/22
to Joerg Hoppe, uni...@googlegroups.com
Roland,
As Joerg mentioned, I’ve seen the QBone provide about twice the I/Os per second compared to a UC07 / SCSI2SD. I think the Beagle Bone’s Linux must cache data from the microSD file that holds the Files11 disk image thus the I/O is limited only by the Qbus block mode I/O and PDP-11 driver overhead.

Best,
Mark