Happy fifth birthday, Unhosted web apps!

Michiel de Jong

Sep 9, 2015, 2:16:35 PM9/9/15
to unhosted
I just noticed that unhosted.org would maybe like a nice new SSL cert for its 5th birthday, sorry about that! ;)

This is the first year we're not actively celebrating the birthday. Last year we organized Decentralize JS at Betahaus, Berlin (including the "html book launch" of Unhosted Adventures, and the three birthdays before that we made a ritual pilgrimage to Unhost, a village in the hills of Central Bohemia. :)

Unhosted web apps are html5 apps that (like native smartphone apps) run client-side instead of (like PHP-, Ruby-, or Python-based applications) merely displaying the output generated by a web-hosted application).

The essential missing link for being able to build an unhosted web apps, is that users can connect their own cloud storage to it. For this to work, the user's cloud storage account needs to have what we could call an ORC-ful API, that is, an API that implements the OAuth-REST-CORS pattern.

As this community celebrates its fifth birthday, there are now also five major ORC-ful online storage systems:
* remoteStorage (developed by this community - yes, we were proudly first!),
* Dropbox (through Dropbox-js),
* Google Drive (through the Google Drive JS API),
* Hoodie (although intended more as per-developer than as per-user storage, a "connect your own Hoodie backend" static web app does work, through the baseUrl option), and
* Kinto (see kinto.js for its client lib, or for instance the Kinto-ParaHacer demo app for a good explanation of the OAuth part).

I think this is reason enough to celebrate. :) So cheers to that, and Happy Unhosted Birthday!

Cheers,
Michiel

Pierre Ozoux

Sep 9, 2015, 2:37:48 PM9/9/15
to unho...@googlegroups.com

Happy birthday!

What about CouchDB and OwnCloud?

You forgot to mention that you were working on:
https://github.com/Decentralized-Sharing-Working-Group
To make cross-backend filesharing easy while unhosted webapps are making
their way.

I also wanted to mention I discovered another almost unhosted webapp:
https://github.com/silexlabs/Silex
An easy solution to discover html/css for non techi users.

it is based on this project: https://github.com/silexlabs/unifile
And so, as it is hosted, it gives access to ftp for instance.

Happy Birthday to unhosted!

Pierre

On 09-09-2015 19:16, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> I just noticed that unhosted.org would maybe like a nice new SSL
> cert for its 5th birthday, sorry about that! ;)
>
> This is the first year we're not actively celebrating the birthday.
> Last year we organized Decentralize JS
> <http://lanyrd.com/2014/decentralizejs/> at Betahaus, Berlin
> (including the "html book launch" of Unhosted Adventures
> <https://unhosted.org/>, and the three birthdays before that we
> made a ritual pilgrimage to Unhost, a village in the hills of
> Central Bohemia. :)
>
> Unhosted web apps are html5 apps that (like native smartphone apps)
> run client-side instead of (like PHP-, Ruby-, or Python-based
> applications) merely displaying the output generated by a
> web-hosted application).
>
> The essential missing link for being able to build an unhosted web
> apps, is that users can connect their own cloud storage to it. For
> this to work, the user's cloud storage account needs to have what
> we could call an ORC-ful API, that is, an API that implements the
> OAuth-REST-CORS pattern.
>
> As this community celebrates its fifth birthday, there are now also
> five major ORC-ful online storage systems: * remoteStorage
> <https://remotestorage.io/> (developed by this community - yes, we
> were proudly first!), * Dropbox (through Dropbox-js
> <https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-js>), * Google Drive (through
> the Google Drive JS API
> <https://developers.google.com/drive/web/quickstart/js>), * Hoodie
> (although intended more as per-developer than as per-user storage,
> a "connect your own Hoodie backend" static web app does work,
> through the baseUrl option
> <http://docs.hood.ie/en/techdocs/api/client/hoodie.html#baseUrl>),
> and * Kinto <https://github.com/Kinto/kinto> (see kinto.js
> <https://github.com/Kinto/kinto.js> for its client lib, or for
> instance the Kinto-ParaHacer
> <https://github.com/mozilla-services/kinto-parahacer> demo app for
> a good explanation of the OAuth part).
>
> I think this is reason enough to celebrate. :) So cheers to that,
> and Happy Unhosted Birthday!
>
> Cheers, Michiel

- --
I use PGP to protect our privacy, if you want to know more, you can
follow this
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
You can verify my public key here: https://keybase.io/pierreozoux

Michiel de Jong

Sep 10, 2015, 2:48:39 AM9/10/15
to unhosted
Hi Pierre!

Thanks for your additions.

> What about CouchDB and OwnCloud?

CouchDB is only the 'REST' part of Hoodie. There are OAuth and CORS plugins for CouchDB, but IIRC Hoodie uses Hapi in front of CouchDB for both. So CouchDB is only ORC-ful if you add the "O" and the "C" yourself.

The same goes for ownCloud - it has support for CORS in its middle-ware code, but afaik, none of ownCloud's APIs are exposing CORS headers yet, so ownCloud storage is also not accessible yet cross-origin from unhosted web apps.

> https://github.com/Decentralized-Sharing-Working-Group
> https://github.com/silexlabs/Silex

Yes, as you already said, that's what we could call "almost unhosted web apps", in that, they both take a slightly more "hosted application" approach, but they're definitely cool things as well! :)

Cheers,
Michiel

--

---