Wire frames Hunch Labs

Chris van der Walt

Dec 17, 2010, 2:24:23 PM12/17/10
to UN Global Pulse - User Interface
Hi,

Hunch labs created was one of the most concretely defined features to
emerge from Pulse Camp. Jen Ziemke followed up with a more detailed
summary of the discussion called 'Conceptualizing the Global Pulse
“Hunch Lab”' which I have uploaded to the group.

Perhaps we could start by creating user stories and wireframes around
the hunch lab concept. E.g. what data should be visible when, how do
we focus attention on related hunches etc.

Those who know of good wireframing tools, can you post suggestions for
those among us who may not have used them before? One well known and
useful tool is Balsamiq: http://balsamiq.com/

Also any volunteers to be community lead for this group?

Cheers
Chris

Nicolas di Tada

Dec 20, 2010, 4:39:10 PM12/20/10
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com
- Balsamiq is very good, cheap and multi-platform.
- Omnigraffle has a lot of excellent stencils for UX, but it's expensive and Mac only (as far as I remember).
- A simple, free and good alternative I've tried with good results is using this google doc template:http://mortenjust.com/2010/04/19/a-wireframe-kit-for-google-drawings/
- Something that produces more realistic and interactive mockups more than wireframes: http://www.justinmind.com/
- Or good old sharpies and a scanner...

cheers,
Nico

Gabriel White

Dec 21, 2010, 12:30:54 AM12/21/10
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com
Good run down Nico.

OmniGraffle though excellent is unfortunately Mac only (it does export to Visio), but is only a little bit more expensive than Balsamiq. (Visio is another standard tool, but is definitely expensive)

One tool that's easily accessible to almost everyone and can do easy simple prototypes is PowerPoint / Impress / Keynote. (Google Docs is also good for collaboration features, but lacks some of the bells and whistles that make mocking / prototyping faster and easier).

All that said, I'm a huge fan of the sharpies and a scanner route especially in these early stages...

Gabe

PJ Onori

Dec 21, 2010, 3:02:40 PM12/21/10
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com

I would be happy to be a community lead if it would be helpful.

P.J.

Robert Kirkpatrick

Dec 21, 2010, 10:14:52 PM12/21/10
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com
P.J., we'd be *very* grateful for your leadership!

Warm Regards,

Robert K.

Jeff Wishnie

Dec 22, 2010, 9:11:07 PM12/22/10
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com
+1 on sharpies and scan / digital photos!

jeff wishnie
director of social impact/principal consultant
thoughtworks
mail: jwis...@thoughtworks.com
mobile: +1 415 377 3715
skype/yahoo/aim: jwishnie

PJ Onori

Jan 3, 2011, 5:23:14 PM1/3/11
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, sorry for the absence, I just returned from vacation.

I think I agree with Jeff on this one during the early stages of design. It may create the least amount of friction to simply create clear, well annotated sketches so we can focus on progressing our ideas without having to come to a consensus on software.

When we do need to start generating digital wireframes, I would suggest looking at something like Adobe Fireworks since it is cross-platform. There are some growing advantages towards using the Adobe suite as their new FXG format can be brought into Adobe Catalyst for simple prototyping. That could definitely help us along in the later stages.

P.J.

Gabriel White

Jan 27, 2011, 7:16:22 AM1/27/11
to unglobal...@googlegroups.com
May be of interest - it's an open source project.

-g