Accessing the Book (copied from original welcome message)

Jennifer Paris

Sep 28, 2020, 1:24:01 PM9/28/20
to Understanding the Whole Child OER Resources
The view in the new Google Groups makes it hard to see the entire welcome message, so I am copying it here:

Here are the links to the textbook:

Generic/Non-COC version (a derivative):
The original COC version
The book has also been added to the LibreText platform (which offers an LTI that will upload the content into your course management system, such as Canvas, in an iframe). This platform also allows users to easily customize and remix content to make their "own" book. You can view this book at: https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Human_Development/Book%3A_Child_Growth_and_Development_(Paris%2C_Ricardo%2C_Rymond_and_Johnson)

The book has been translated into Spanish by the Child Development Training Consortium. I have attached their original PDF and Word and then also turned them into a generic version that does not have the COC cover

COC Version in Spanish

Generic Version in Spanish
It is licensed CC BY, which means you can use, distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon it, as long as you give credit for the original creation (I should note that you need to review the licenses of the source content as it's not all CC-BY).

C E Tats

Nov 12, 2023, 11:38:51 AM11/12/23
to Understanding the Whole Child OER Resources
Hi,

I was initially  excited to see a Generic version of the textbook as there are many outdated terms. It is focused, I see on ECE rather than Child Development up to Adolescence. Is there a group editing the entire book?

Then I came to the Technology part, which disappoints. There is so much discussion about potential advantages and waaaaaaay down the list is this important tidbit (note professional and public health organizations who have been studying children for a long time and studying tech for a long time):
Several professional and public health organizations have raised concerns about
whether young children should have access to technology and screen media in early childhood
programs (e.g., Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, Alliance for Childhood, and
Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children’s Entertainment 2012).

Pediatrics recommends avoiding any media other than video-chatting until 18 months, limiting
2 to 5-year-olds to one hour per day
of high quality programming,

1 hour. Did you see that? 1 hour. So  assuming children in your care are not doing any screen time at home, hah, then you might be able to use tech and help children resist issues that tech brings. You need to be a critical user of tech, just as we are critical users of what food children are fed, we should be critical and limiting of sugary junk tech.
I am sure you all agree that it is not likely that children are only using media in our centers (almost everyone has a smart phone these days). Tech can be helpful as a distraction while an exhausted caregiver takes a break, a family member takes a shower, or prepares a meal, or certainly during long periods of inactivity like on a plane trip.

We know that children by interacting with the actual world at this age; them play with actual humans, let them interact with the actual world not a screen. That is how children learn, by interacting with the world, by, As Bev Bos so wisely said: "By holding it[the object of their scientific exploration] in their hand" and she meant an object (leaf, soil, next, orange, melon, seeds, etc),  not a tablet ....she probably would have added, "...and they do not learn by staring  at a flat screen of flashing lights".

Paris, Jennifer

Nov 13, 2023, 9:50:42 PM11/13/23
to C E Tats, Understanding the Whole Child OER Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I do want to note that the generic version of the book is not a more updated version of the book. The only content change was the addition of a stage of Erikson's theory that was missed in the “original” version.

The book is on child and adolescent growth and development in general, so the information about learning and development is not specific to teachers/classrooms. There are other classes/books that focus more on using what we know about children in the classroom. There is a sizeable section on technology and media in Chapter 3 of the Safety, Health, and Nutrition in Early Childhood Education OER textbook, for example.

If you would like to provide additional feedback, there is a link to a survey to report errors and provide feedback in the front matter of the book. Or you are welcome to annotate/put comments on a copy of the book and send it my way.

Or, as it is OER, you can make changes to the book to create your own derivative, which I would be more than happy to share out if desired.

Best,

Jennifer