Carbon Spirals

Peter Duval

Jul 30, 2016, 12:07:43 PM7/30/16
to underhillene...@gmail.com (Google Groups)
I am always on the lookout for compelling illustrations of the climate crisis. The monthly temperature spiral has inspired some new efforts to display data. The one that I think gives the best sense of the system dynamics is the carbon budget with emissions rate:
https://vimeo.com/175317508
found here:
http://www.climate-energy-college.net/search/content/climate%20spirals
after reading this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/07/28/these-climate-spirals-perfectly-illustrate-the-human-hand-in-global-climate-change/

All of these displays typically use a central tendency of many runs of the climate simulation models. They provide only a 50% confidence that climate sensitivity will be as favorable as the estimate. Extreme warming climate scenarios have a frighteningly high probability.

-Peter