Streetlights

Peter Duval

Feb 4, 2017, 8:53:00 AM2/4/17
to underhillene...@gmail.com (Google Groups)
http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2017/02/02/sleep-schedule-off-kilter-camping-might-help/TSTw70VoAPgU8yNf6QSyAI/story.html?s_campaign=email_BG_TodaysHeadline&s_campaign=

An article in today’s Boston Globe describes clearly the fundamental problem with artificial light, not just streetlights: artificial lights erode and disrupt sleep. The health and human performance implications are astounding, from cancer to school exams and car crashes. This is why we must get rid of the remaining streetlights in town, mitigate all other outdoor lighting, and raise awareness with our fellow townspeople to use artificial light sparingly and be very careful about the color spectrum of that light.

With modern headlamps and portable lights, we could even imagine eliminating permanent fixtures in buildings. What a tremendous savings in capital and maintenance (I stopped counting at 30 fixtures in my house).

-Peter

Sleep schedule off kilter? Camping might help. - The Boston Globe.pdf