Process: divergence, emergence, convergence

Lisa Heft

Apr 19, 2007, 1:05:25 PM4/19/07
to unbook

<Can you please explain the process of convergence and pattern seeking. Also by convergence, do you mean concluding with a set of action items that everyone agrees to? So for example, if we were to have an unconference on how to design the curriculum and teaching methodology for some courses, at the end of the session we would have to generate a document that can be given to the students of the course. What do we do, if at the end of the open space session we still do not have concensus on the methodology?>

Parag –

If we were to have a meeting on how to design curriculum and methodology for some courses, I would first say you’d have to give people whatever data they needed to inform their discussions (pre-meeting – for example, teaching them about various methodologies or minimum requirements for the curriculum for state tests or something) and then you would have to design your question/task, invite the right people (including students?) and give it enough time (2 days? 2.5?). If you had an existing mechanism for communication you would also decide what was necessary for the in-person meeting (can pattens be found / design continue post-event or does the curriculum have to be completed by the end of the event) and so on.  And about consensus: consensus means many different things to different people.  Do you mean agreement?  Majority decision?  Ability for even an outlier person to continue onward with his/her project?  All these elements and more go into the conversation about what sort of convergence or decision-making tool should be selected.

I was sharing the info on divergence and convergence just to give you an idea of how own designs facilitation (Open Space / unconference or other methods for convening people).  The reasons and tools and processes for divergence and convergence (and pattern seeking, and action items or agreements) are diverse.  Convergence does not always mean action items.  It means people coming together to look at shared patterns, or for reflection, or for other full-group-think.  It is like breathing – like in and out.  In: everyone meets in a circle.  Out: small group discussions/divergence.  In: group meets as a whole for news, or to name something, or to share a meal mid-process and share stories.  Out: discussions in small groups.  In: comes together to seek patterns or simply to reflect and share.   All meetings do not have to end in action planning / next steps or a group agreement as a closing deliverable.  Sometimes the deliverable (for the needs of the group) is the dialogue itself (networking, resource sharing, idea generation, and so on).  It all depends on the reason for the meeting and the needs of the group – and the design is carefully worked on to meet these needs/objectives via method and process.

But I digress from the work at hand – talking about the unbook.  For anyone who wants to read more about convergence, feel free to read this paper at my website:

http://www.openingspace.net/openSpaceTechnology_method_resources_Convergence_A_Conversation.shtml

For any of you interested in learning more about Open Space – you may wish to read Harrison Owen’s book, “Open Space Technology: A User’s Guide” and if you cannot access that book, simply go to my website and start here and read along through whatever interests you:

http://www.openingspace.net/openSpaceTechnology_method.shtml

There is also a global conversation of Open Space facilitators, learners and enthusiasts that you can be a part of: go to http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html

Cheers,

Lisa

___________________________

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e

lisa...@openingspace.net

www.openingspace.net

Parag Shah

Apr 29, 2007, 3:07:23 PM4/29/07
to unb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lisa,

Thank you for your clarifying the concept. I also read the pages marked under "Convergence - A Conversation" on your website. It is a very good resource for understanding convergence. Reading the thoughts of various facilitators helped widen my perspective.

If you had an existing mechanism for communication you would also decide what was necessary for the in-person meeting (can pattens be found / design continue post-event or does the curriculum have to be completed by the end of the event) and so on.

I agree, it is important to identify the desired outcome of the OS session. What convergence means will also depend on the outcome. If the outcome is to design define the curriculum, then it might mean a majority vote (with an understanding that the items that did not get voted for, were not left out because they were innapropriate, but because the group did not resonate with them and could not gather energy around them. I future sessions they may emerge as very important topics) , whereas if the OS is for brainstorming, then convergence may mean identifying perspectives and thoughts on how to improve the curriculum, exchange anecdotes and stories of what has worked and what has not for different teachers and so on.

Convergence does not always mean action items.  It means people coming together to look at shared patterns, or for reflection, or for other full-group-think.  It is like breathing – like in and out.

That is very true, every OS session has a unique purpose and the meaning of convergence may be just as unique to that session.

Just as a side thought, I have not noticed BarCamp type events to have any formal convergence. Has anyone noticed convergence in a Barcamp? If we wanted to introduce convergence in a Barcamp, what would be a possible way to facilitate it?

--
Regards
Parag

Lisa Heft

May 1, 2007, 3:14:50 PM5/1/07
to unb...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Parag –

I am enjoying your thoughts here.  Here’s another thing to consider: I rarely encourage my clients to select something due to majority vote.  You know how great things can happen if only one person has the passion and takes the responsibility to make things happen.  So in Open Space, there is the possibility of simply’ reopening the space’ towards the end – to ask who wishes to champion a task or topic – and then there is a short (say, 45 minutes) session with an action planning form (hoped-for action, stepping stones towards that action, who else to invite to this action group, when to meet next, what would be immediate, doable first steps, who will champion the action group itself for the next meeting etc.) instead of the notes-taker form  used in the event up to that moment(topic, convenor, notes-taker, other members, discussion).  People can meet with the action champions during that short session just to lend their good ideas.  That  team agrees when to meet next to start talking about it all and doing the work – and then you all go into Closing Circle (convergence).  Action planning forms can go into the full Book of Proceedings – just as the session notes and networking information are in the Book.  And if an organizer/organization is really dedicated to sustainability and leveraging the momentum of the event, they provide mechanisms for sharing news and resources to help those action teams achieve success.

I wish you could come to my Open Space Learning Workshop in San Francisco next month – it would be great to share thinking in person and with others to enrich the mix... However – you may find it interesting to join the OSLIST to join the electronic conversation about Open Space with a bunch of OS facilitators from around the world...

I am, among other things, a past Poet Laureate of that community and we are currently in the midst of a contest to name our next Poet Laureate...it’s an amazing community that shares questions, tools, resources, opportunities and rich learning....

Lisa