Fw: Umbilo River

lau...@dbn.caxton.co.za

Jan 4, 2021, 4:49:43 AM1/4/21
to washingt...@gmail.com, umbilo-rive...@googlegroups.com, ar...@wessa.co.za
Good day
I hope you’re well.
I would like to do an article on this issue – Jean suggested I contact the Umbilo River Community.
Please can you get back to me regarding this.
Many thanks,

Lauren Walford
Journalist & Photographer: Berea Mail
T: 031 716 4495
C: 084 240 9326

caxton local media logo large

brm logo hwm logo ngn logo qbn logo
This email and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information.
This information is private and protected by law and, accordingly, if you are not the intended recipient,
you are requested to delete this entire communication immediately.
Save trees, save paper. Please consider the environment before printing.

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: Umbilo River

Marvellous!

Please Lauren go through to the Umbilo River Community and take it from there.

I’m not involved there as I’m busy with similar issues in Palmiet River.

But publicity is a powerful weapon against environmental degradation.

Environmental degradation is a social and Human Rights issue and most people do not see the connections.

Go for it on behalf all  those who don’t have a voice.

Stay well and stay strong!

Jean

From: Sibongile Maqubela <Sibongile...@durban.gov.za>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020, 12:30
To: Cllr.Govender <Cllr.G...@outlook.com>, Cllr Chris van der Berg <war...@ethekwini.org>, washingt...@gmail.com <washingt...@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Peinke <Andrew...@durban.gov.za>, Londiwe Satimburwa <Londiwe.S...@durban.gov.za>, Sibusiso Vilane <Sibusis...@durban.gov.za>, zsh...@inr.org.za <zsh...@inr.org.za>, Ayanda Duma <AYAND...@durban.gov.za>, Ednick Msweli <Ednick...@durban.gov.za>, Lusapho Tshangela <Lusapho....@durban.gov.za>

Good day Laura

As discussed over telephone, please find attached latest updates on the Umbilo river issues as promised.

The first attachment has comments on Umbilo Wastewater Treatment Works latest developments. The second attachment has the latest water quality results of Umbilo river. Please note the high E.coli counts at Haslam road i.e. below Umbilo WWTW are due to the damaged sewer lines. The Tracing team identified three places in the bush where the sewer lines had been washed away by the rain. Superintendent has been taken to site as there is no clear address to identify the locations for the necessary repairs. Currently Superintendent is busy with the arrangements to have contractor/s appointed to do the required repairs.

Regards

SM

From: Mduduzi Dlamini <Mduduzi...@durban.gov.za>
To: Sibongile Maqubela <Sibongile...@durban.gov.za>
Cc: Lusapho Tshangela <Lusapho....@durban.gov.za>
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 08:34:09 +0000
Subject: Umbilo comments

Hi Sibongile, below are some of the comments from the Works

  • Bad Smells -  The operations at the Works are normal. We do have the normal sewage smell now and again and because of the Plant topography, we are at the bottom of the Valley, the smells builds-up and now with the hot summer temperatures and at night when the temperatures dropped the smell become lighter and rises which end up blowing towards the community up the valley. This is prevalent during the summer hot temperatures. We are using a mobile deodoriser at the West Plant head of works to spray.
  • Stand-by generator is on-site, M&E are finalising connection. Eskom load shedding has stopped in the past months
  • Enzymes and nitrifies -  has been procured and currently dosing to improve process
  • Trucks -  are still being utilised to transport wet sludges offsite to Umhlathuzana Works
  • Sludge stockpiles - A contract was put in place to remove sludge by the river banks, however we found that there is too much sludge there and continuing might destabilise the land scape. Currently engaging our civil engineers
  • Emergency report – was deferred by the city manager, now waiting for the next BAC seating

Regards