Has Windows Updates borked your WinUSB drivers (via Zadig)?

henry zuckerman

Aug 12, 2012, 7:38:44 PM8/12/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
A story...

I don't usually do much with the Realtek dongles on win-based systems, and I am less familial with the intricacies of Windows drivers than *nix systems.  I though I'd upgrade SDRsharp on my netbook (WinXP SP3) to see if newer versions would run a little better.  The older version (411) did run, but stuttered.  I had not looked at it for a while (1.5 months, maybe).  I upgraded to the latest and it now says"RTL-SDR is either not connected or its driver is not working".  Yet, the driver is is installed (from zadig) and shows up under control panel.  Running zadig to reinstall driver changes nothing.  OK - maybe I inadvertently trashed something unknown.  For grins, I fired up my backup desktop machine which had an identical SDRSharp install on it (not upgraded) plus a working HDSDR install.  Lo & behold, neither would run - essentially the same result as above.   The only changes to the desktop system were automatic installation of Windows updates.  WT(bleep)?  Again, reinstalling drivers form zadig did not help, nor did manually purging the USB devices, oem??.inf files and registry entries, followed by a complete reinstall of the drivers & SDRSharp.  Have any of you out there experienced the same thing?  It's not a huge, deal because everything works just fine on the Linux side (no hardware failure, in other words).  This is why I hate Windows. Any suggestions welcome...

jdow

Aug 12, 2012, 8:58:23 PM8/12/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
Just on a lark have you tried unplugging the dongle and plugging it back
in after a few seconds? That brings it back for me, usually. But, then, I
have not updated Zadig. On the other paw, it doesn't sound like your
problem is in the libusb.

For recent SDRSharp you need a recent rtlsdr.dll and some other stuff
obtained by following the directions: http://rtlsdr.org/softwarewindows

Be meticulous about the SDR# installation.

{^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

henry zuckerman

Aug 13, 2012, 7:07:22 AM8/13/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
The really odd thing was that a working SDRsharp installation (on the desktop machine) simply quit working with after no changes to either SDRSharp or zadig (i.e. - no udates).  I did try plugging/unplugging multiple times and tried all the USB ports on the machines to no avail.  This one just has me stumped.  Both machines (netbook & desktop) have been kept current via Windows update.  I wonder if M$ has done something that has killed the open-source USB drivers in zadig?  The problem appears to be with the USB driver, because HDSDR quit working, also.

Robert Nickels

Aug 13, 2012, 10:28:53 AM8/13/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
On 8/13/2012 6:07 AM, henry zuckerman wrote:
> The problem appears to be with the USB driver, because HDSDR quit
> working, also.

Henry,
This won't be much help but I had one similar experience with my Win7
system that had been working fine previously. I realized the drivers
had come un-installed somehow and fired up Zadig to reinstall them, and
it ended up taking a *very* long time (a couple of minutes, unlike a few
seconds previously) and ultimately failed. I noticed that a Windows
update was asking for a reboot so I did that and then Zadig worked
properly. The only thing I can think of to try - if you haven't
already - is to uninstall any Realtek-looking drivers in Control Panel,
and then try Zadig again. I've done it both ways and except for that
one time, Zadig always just replaced what Win PNP installed. Or, maybe
roll-back to a known-good configuration and try it. Good luck,

73, Bob W9RAN

jdow

Aug 13, 2012, 4:28:07 PM8/13/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
Nope - I am fully patched to the current Windows code. And my personal
variant of SDRHash (That's a hash mark not a sharp except maybe to a
musician. {^_-}) works just fine. So does HDSDR. Well, actually I just
discovered something. HDSDR works a HECK of a lot better if I plug in
the dongle. {o.o}

{^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

henry zuckerman

Aug 14, 2012, 7:20:11 AM8/14/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks or all you suggestions ladies & gentlemen.  Still no luck getting the driver (WinUSB) to work properly.  If I run rtl_test.exe, it finds the dongle, but then reports:

usb_claim_interface error -12
could not open device #0

(or something close to this - I'll post the exact wording tonight when I get home, if it strikes a chord with anyone).

I'll be darned if I can find out what libusb error -12 is. Do any of you folks know?   The documentation for this library is up to the usual open-source project standards: useless!

Adam Nielsen

Aug 14, 2012, 7:43:10 AM8/14/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
> usb_claim_interface error -12
> could not open device #0
>
> I'll be darned if I can find out what libusb error -12 is. Do any of you folks
> know? The documentation for this library is up to the usual open-source
> project standards: useless!

That's because you're looking at the wrong documentation :-P
usb_claim_interface is when the program tries to gain access the device. If
it fails, it means either some other driver is using the device instead of
Zadig, or your user doesn't have permission to access the device.

So, apparently, you're not a local admin user or the Zadig driver isn't
installed properly...

Cheers,
Adam.

Sam

Nov 9, 2012, 2:52:03 PM11/9/12
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
Here is a way of getting around this.

2. RUN ZADIG as Administrator
3. IN OPTIONS -- Check "List all Devices" , UNCHECK "Hide Hubs or Composite Devices"
4. Slightly Tricky .. FIND the "Composite Device that has your RTL2838 Device"   (Not the 2 Entrys for the Device Itself)
5. Warning; From here your device will dissapear from the normal Windows Usb Devices. (It will apear in ANOTHER USB Devices List , once you Reboot)
6. Change the Driver of the COMPOSITE Driver to WINUSB
7. You will see the 2 RTL2838 devices dissapear.. But  1 WINUSB - RTL2838UHIDIR apear.
8. Reboot.
9. This Should be Working now..

You might need to additionally add the WCID Driver with ZADIG.. done in the "drop down of Install/Reinstall driver"

Worked here.
Sam

Mariusz P

Dec 22, 2013, 5:43:40 PM12/22/13
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com

W dniu piątek, 9 listopada 2012 20:52:04 UTC+1 użytkownik Sam napisał:
Here is a way of getting around this.

2. RUN ZADIG as Administrator
3. IN OPTIONS -- Check "List all Devices" , UNCHECK "Hide Hubs or Composite Devices"
4. Slightly Tricky .. FIND the "Composite Device that has your RTL2838 Device"   (Not the 2 Entrys for the Device Itself)
5. Warning; From here your device will dissapear from the normal Windows Usb Devices. (It will apear in ANOTHER USB Devices List , once you Reboot)
6. Change the Driver of the COMPOSITE Driver to WINUSB
7. You will see the 2 RTL2838 devices dissapear.. But  1 WINUSB - RTL2838UHIDIR apear.
8. Reboot.
9. This Should be Working now..

You might need to additionally add the WCID Driver with ZADIG.. done in the "drop down of Install/Reinstall driver"

Worked here.
Sam

 Hi ,
I know that it was long time ago but pls help.
I did all this step with one additionally ;(
After reboot sharp sdr  still havent seen rtl USB and what I did (replace drv for generic usb hub to WINUSB with ZADIG ) now win7 did not see rtl2832 dongle at all.
Could You help revers situation.

Mariusz

jdow

Dec 22, 2013, 10:51:25 PM12/22/13
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
If the device manager does not see it at all you are into a situation that
needs a system restore to a time before you messed with the dongle.

I am willing to bet that if the dongle is still alive (infantile failures
do happen - a bad driver install would not cause a dead dongle) it appears
somewhere in the list of devices with the word "bulk" in its name. Finding
it may be a bit tedious, however.

If that is the case you probably did not run Zadig as administrator. On
Windows 7 this does NOT mean being merely a member of the administrators
group.

You MUST install it by right clicking on Zadig.exe. Then select the "Run
as administrator" option. Then go through the installation procedure.

{^_^} Joanne/W6MKU

wa5ngp

Jan 1, 2014, 7:44:23 AM1/1/14
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
 I use HSDR and SDRsharp and have all the latest windoze 7 updates
I discovered something by accident.

I had set up another user id on my pc.  Quite by accident I discovered that the 2 sw pkgs prefer opposite logins.  they were both installed on the admin id with admin priveleges invoked.  I am thinking maybe the first time the app is launched it somehow establishes ownership of the  modified USB port access  that the other cannot get at. (I'm not talking about running the sdr apps at the same time)   Not a good explanation, but after discovering what works I decided to leave it alone.

jdow

Jan 1, 2014, 4:45:14 PM1/1/14
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
He may have to rerun Zadig.

With Windows 7 the best approach seems to be to let Windows load whatever
driver it thinks is appropriate for the dongle. Then replace that driver
with the Zadig selection using right click and "Run as administrator".

It is possible that he'd have to run Zadig for both users. A visit to
device manager could clarify that a little. Note that different users
can have different hardware profiles.

{^_^} Joanne

Borimir Sabev

May 21, 2014, 9:38:23 AM5/21/14
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
I know this is quite an old post. Just a note which may help somebody: I had to uninstall my Kaspersky antivirus which had replaced the USB drivers and to reinstall the Windows 7 drivers and to rerun Zadig in order to fix my issue quite similar to this one.

Leif Asbrink

Sep 1, 2016, 10:17:35 PM9/1/16
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com, soft_...@yahoogroups.com
Hi All,

This video shows that one can run a rtlsdr at 2.4 MHz on a
Raspberry Pi 2B. Maybe interesting for portable use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZmD8O4Flk

Regards

Leif