Extrusion head fan

Gregor Luetolf

Dec 12, 2012, 7:58:07 AM12/12/12
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
I tried to attach a second fan to the 12V connectors at the extrusion head. After both fans were running, I now removed the second fan again. Now I'm not able any more to control the speed of the extrusion head fan. It just runs full speed when I switch the ultimaker on. Already updated firmware and loaded failsafe. Also removed power for several minutes. Any ideas? Did I break the fan speed control by attaching a second fan? Thank you for any hints. Gregor

John Kicklighter

Dec 12, 2012, 8:31:34 AM12/12/12
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you can break a fan by doing what you did.  Even if so, they are like a light switch in that their either blow air or don't in determining if it is functional or not.  It sounds like you may have hooked the fan up differently than it was originally by connecting it to a different power source that isn't switched.  Have you double checked the wiring to be sure it is connected where it is supposed to be connected to?  Maybe even go so far as to open the UM assembly instructions and reference where it is supposed to connect to under the bottom on the circuit board and trace that out to your fan.

-John

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Gregor Luetolf <glue...@gmail.com> wrote:
I tried to attach a second fan to the 12V connectors at the extrusion head. After both fans were running, I now removed the second fan again. Now I'm not able any more to control the speed of the extrusion head fan. It just runs full speed when I switch the ultimaker on. Already updated firmware and loaded failsafe. Also removed power for several minutes. Any ideas? Did I break the fan speed control by attaching a second fan? Thank you for any hints. Gregor

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

Jelle Boomstra

Dec 12, 2012, 8:36:23 AM12/12/12
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
if the fan were controlled by a fet of some sort; it would not be impossible for it so break down in the open state and thus leave the fan running. As far as I know though, the transistor is not a fet but a darlinton and I have no idea if those can break down in the same way.
--
Jelle Boomstra
Lab Manager

Bezoekadres: Nijverheidsweg 16B, Utrecht
Postadres: Postbus 10152, 3505 AC Utrecht

T +31 (0)30 223 08 75 | E je...@protospace.nl | W www.protospace.nl
open inloop: dinsdag middag + donderdag

Gregor Luetolf

Dec 12, 2012, 8:40:30 AM12/12/12
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
We did not change the wiring, just left the first fan attached the same way it was possible to control it before. We have 2 UMs here and both have the same wiring, the one we tried to mod is now with a running fan but showing 000 from the firmware at the ulticontroller. The one we did not touch just has the usual fan control in place, having the exact same wiring.

John Kicklighter

Dec 12, 2012, 9:26:22 AM12/12/12
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
In looking through the schematic and parts list, the darlington part number is linked below.  I recall seeing this near the middle of the board, immediately beside one of the mounting holes.  A medium sized black chip, standing up with a hole in it.  If you suspect a failure, you could order a replacement part, or in the least, measure the properties of the working unit verses the broken one to see if it appears broken.  Image attached showing where to find it.

http://www.findchips.com/avail?part=bd679
FANconn.jpg

Gijs de Zwart

Dec 12, 2012, 10:19:25 AM12/12/12
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
I've run into the same issue before. You probably made a short without knowing. It's a darlington like Jelle already said and these are cheap and easy to replace.

see attached image
UltimakerPCB1.5.4-prototype.JPG

Gregor Luetolf

Dec 12, 2012, 1:20:02 PM12/12/12