Netfabb Questions: stringing and buildstyles/materials, etc

Luke

Oct 21, 2011, 12:54:02 AM10/21/11
to Ultimaker
Hi group,
Got some questions about Netfabb hoping someone might be able to
enlighten me.

A) Stringing; poking around the material settings I noticed there
aren't Pull-back or Push-forward values. Presuming this is purposeful
and that this would normally be the standard way to combat stringing,
what is the intended method to reduce what at times can be significant
stringing.

B) Buildstyles and Materials; am I correct in assuming that for Paul's
profiles we should be picking the extruder material to match the build
style? ie. 'PLA - Standard' paired with 'Standard Quality - Hollow'?

C) Is the appropriate way to tune my extruder to these profiles by
tweaking my M92 code until dimensions are how they should be.

Running latest (Oct 16) Marling build.

Thanks guys,
Happy Printing

Paul

Oct 21, 2011, 7:20:06 AM10/21/11
to ulti...@googlegroups.com

On 21 Oct 2011, at 05:54, Luke <lukec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi group,
> Got some questions about Netfabb hoping someone might be able to
> enlighten me.
>
> A) Stringing; poking around the material settings I noticed there
> aren't Pull-back or Push-forward values. Presuming this is purposeful
> and that this would normally be the standard way to combat stringing,
> what is the intended method to reduce what at times can be significant
> stringing.

Don't have time to find the link, however as mentioned Alexander is working to get pull back etc working. For now the profiles try to minimise stringing with 'balanced printing' (extrusion and temperature). Make sure you print at as low a temperature as possible (all profiles were increased by about 5 degrees to make them easier to print before release so a minor improvement may be possible). Proper calibration also helps of course, to much plastic = strings. Lastly the smaller the layer height the less of a problem stringing becomes both in mass and strength. Also note we have not used a negative feed rate for travel (yes this setting works) as on objects with multiple voids you can end up with the filament being retracted out of the head.

So we are waiting for Alexander to fix the push on pull back feature ......

> B) Buildstyles and Materials; am I correct in assuming that for Paul's
> profiles we should be picking the extruder material to match the build
> style? ie. 'PLA - Standard' paired with 'Standard Quality - Hollow'?

Correct, I think Florian put this in the wiki

> C) Is the appropriate way to tune my extruder to these profiles by
> tweaking my M92 code until dimensions are how they should be.

Calibration is being worked on by Alexander. Florian has kindly put a previous reply on this in the wiki a while back. Basically it describes a stop gap calibration system we used to help create these profiles.

> Running latest (Oct 16) Marling build.
>
> Thanks guys,
> Happy Printing

Sorry for the rushed reply.

Happy printing

Paul

> --
>
> For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

Luke

Oct 21, 2011, 10:57:36 PM10/21/11
to Ultimaker
Hey thanks Paul,
Up until recently I was using Skienforge 35 exclusively so moving on
to post 40 skienforge and netfabb is still a little confusing at
times.

Is it that the push/pull feature isn't generating gcode? If this is
the case would it be possible to hand off exported Gcode to a script
adding retraction code in a similar fashion to skienforge?

I saw some notes on the calibration process that was used to generate
the profiles (I think written by you actually). I guess I'm curious if
it would be advisable to try and get myself as close as possible to
calibrated by first modifying the firmware hoping it will get me close
enough on all the profiles. That way I can further calibrate ones I
use often but wouldn't need to necessarily do the calibration for
every single one to get a decent print.

Thanks for the Reply!