Re: Thingiverse is now MakerbotThingiverse...

Message has been deleted

Gijs de Zwart

Jan 9, 2013, 4:57:22 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
haha, great... try to launch their customizer app:

This app will be able to:

  • Access your profile information.
  • Interact with Things on your behalf.
  • Edit your Things.
  • Post new Things for you.

or is it not so bad as it sounds?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Daid <dai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thingiverse got updated, now it's called MakerbotThingiverse. The layout also got updated, taking up more screenspace I think.

They also released an API, which might not say a lot to a lot of people, but it means programmers (like me) can access features of thingiverse. I haven't looked into details yet, but it's not allowed to make a "thingiverse clone" with it. But it might be useful to Cura in some way.

Anyhow, feel free to say what you think about the changes :-)

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

catohagen

Jan 9, 2013, 5:09:08 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
I predict there will be months of Iphone cases and rings posted everyday.... :)

Ian Spring

Jan 9, 2013, 5:13:00 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
im not actually a big big fan of the new layout ??? its very dreams and things are splashed around the place. the old version was very direct and simply to nagivate...
makerbot is reinventing the wheel i think...
Ian

Daid

Jan 9, 2013, 5:51:04 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
It's worse, check the "new things", it's filled with iPhone cases. It's fine to have a customizer. It's stupid to post every customization on your site, flooding it.

They are using openSCAD to generate the customizer things. But it's horrible to find anything on the new site. The new "auto expanding" view also causes problems when moving back and forwards between viewing things and the list.

Joris [van Tubergen]

Jan 9, 2013, 5:59:35 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
yes, i posted something yesterday, but you cannot find it anymore with browsing new things... [yes, on page 8 if you still allowed to call it pages...]

cheers\joris

Ian Spring

Jan 9, 2013, 6:35:33 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
the more i look around it. the more i dont like it.....
after seeing thingiverse today, i am really thinking of moving my focus to an alternative....
Ian

Ian Spring

Jan 9, 2013, 6:38:31 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
i would love to meet the web design idiots that told the maker bot guys... the new system will be a simply dream for navigation. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
graphic.jpg

OwenB

Jan 9, 2013, 6:38:46 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
More like uninventing the wheel

Dave Head

Jan 9, 2013, 6:38:50 AM1/9/13
to Ultimaker
i think alot of people will be thinking the same

one thing puts me off is the fact there its makerbot thiniverse

now i most people know they own it which is grand and added there object but now with there name on it it kind of makes it official if you know what i mean

Ian Spring

Jan 9, 2013, 6:40:30 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
sorry your right owen !!
so ultimaker team !!! HOP HOP as the germans would say !!! use this horrible big stinky makerbot mistake to your advantage !!!

I Robert I

Jan 9, 2013, 7:11:27 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Well, let me put it this way. The only thing I like is the new added statistics. The rest just reeks of ye olde "the webdesigners are running out of work to do and have to come up with something to keep their jobs"-design work. I don't understand the "recent" trend on the internet of reducing information density to the point where things are left feeling empty. In the past design there were about 15-20 objects being on display at any one time on the main page. Now there's what, eleven? And you have to scroll a lot to cover see it.

Something is completely fucked up when things looked cramped on a 24inch monitor...

And naturally I'm not a fan of the whole makerbot stamp on it. Sure, they're the ones paying the bills but this makes it look like everything is done on Makerbots which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a new thing in the works that I was going to post but I'm going to hold off for a while I think.

Jelle Boomstra

Jan 9, 2013, 7:14:04 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Yes Daid, why don't you make a 'ultiverse' for us??? I'm sure you can make enough time for it if you would stop playing minecraft! ;)

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

--
Jelle Boomstra
Lab Manager
Stichting ProtoSpace

Bezoekadres: Nijverheidsweg 16B, Utrecht
Postadres: Postbus 10152, 3505 AC Utrecht

T +31 (0)30 223 08 75 | E je...@protospace.nl | W www.protospace.nl
open inloop: dinsdag middag + donderdag

Simone Cortesi

Jan 9, 2013, 7:26:30 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Daid <dai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thingiverse got updated, now it's called MakerbotThingiverse. The layout
> also got updated, taking up more screenspace I think.

any info on what happened? did MakerBot buy Thingiverse? comarketing?

--
-S

Bernhard Kubicek

Jan 9, 2013, 7:44:44 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
yeah, a triangle wheel is better than a quadratic wheel because it has one bump less.

Bernhard

Bernhard Kubicek

Jan 9, 2013, 7:46:03 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
I disagree. A things site should be made by a non-colored organization, e.g Wikimedia. And not by one of many 3d printer sellers.

Bernhard

Daid

Jan 9, 2013, 8:13:39 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Thingiverse was always by Makerbot. But it was never this much "bonded together" before.

We do have some talk about an alternative from Ultimaker. But I cannot guarantee anything yet, having an idea is simple, implementing it and keeping it doing is another. We could use a "not linked to Ultimaker" name suggestion. Ultiverse would be a very bad name for example. As if we are going to do something like this, then we need a name that's not linked to Ultimaker. Bit the same as we did with Cura. Cura is still Cura, it works very nice for Ultimakers, but it also supports other RepRap machines and doesn't limit you.

(And Jelle, I don't even play Minecraft ;-) )

Kim Gressens

Jan 9, 2013, 8:45:53 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for an alternative! It will be quite a task to make something that has the features and popularity of Thingiverse, so I think Ultimaker's support is necessary to succeed...

That being said, it would be great if "Ultiverse" and Ultimaker could become two separate entities in the future, once it has enough traction.

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 9:23:25 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Exactly the same feeling, the more I see it the more I want something else :s
It got totally polluted with iphone cases, and no way for a would-be advanced search since makers just forget to mention it in the titles! :(
I afforded the time to quickly parse all the "new things" before, but I probably won't do it now just because of this pollution.

The stats are nice though cosmetic, just like the idea to scroll to get more data (cf google image) -- if at least they got it done correctly!

I can understand the "makerbot" stamp, though. It just pushes a bit my will of a fully open, independent, community-made alternative.

One good thing is that I definitely would like to see the data backuped/ripped through their API. Come on, the designs are CC so I don't see why they would prevent it as long as it's done with care about their bandwidth... ;)

Ian Spring

Jan 9, 2013, 9:41:37 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
this week makerbots big media campaign and marketing has ballsed it up big time !
and i for one am putting my fair and impartial hand forwaward.... ianiverse ???
any takers ?  ;-) lollll

Jelle Boomstra

Jan 9, 2013, 9:42:42 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
At least over here there is something like a database copyright that would disallow things like automatically ripping the site like suggested above.
But using the api to offer users the opportunity to copy their own items over should be no problem at all. It would be nasty to blank out the originals afterwards, but that too should be permissible.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 9:43:49 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly, I was checking the "popular thnigs", and found that my

"Spring-loaded NEMA 17 steppers / belt tensioner"
(856 views, 14 likes, 34 downloads)

appear way before my much popular (but non existing)

"Locking key for Ultimaker filament feeder (also badly named as extruder)"
(1487 views, 36 likes, 834 downloads)

Seriouslt, I don't care much for myself but I will not trust their ranking to help me a lot. Censorship is not obvious either since the "ultimaker XL upgrade" by geodesign appears in the list (702 views, 12 likes, 16 downloads).

Ian Spring

Jan 9, 2013, 9:46:12 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
serously if some one offered me a fair alternative tonight, i will pull my small collection of items and load some where else. this new site is.... shite...

Mark Cohen

Jan 9, 2013, 9:51:45 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Makerbot created Thingiverse. They have always owned it.

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 10:09:47 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
About the customizer, here is the official stance and some useful info on this thread : https://groups.google.com/d/msg/thingiverse/ONI7nN4WeMs/iiDYpvYO9oYJ

Just skip the first sentence (damn how I hate such bullshit) ;)
Also Daid, you were talking about it lately, here you are: "there are over 7,000 OpenSCAD objects on Thingiverse"

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 9, 2013, 10:29:26 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Some good discussions happened here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/105154873505865806207/posts/PKkhjKFEXhh

In short. I hate it. I did like some of the latest features but it's more cold, distanced. They need a designer. It's just more marketing BS.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Daid

Jan 9, 2013, 10:31:46 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Using their api to copy to an alternative site is against the TOS of the API.

Duane Johnson

Jan 9, 2013, 11:02:57 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
One thing I do like is the new profile page for my projects. It lists them all, instead of requiring a second click on an obscure link.

Duane Johnson

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 11:39:03 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Good point, it's about the hose not the data :)
I still feel like I'd I could make a backup of my own stuff at least, especially for the descriptions

Joris [van Tubergen]

Jan 9, 2013, 11:44:03 AM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
>>I still feel like I'd I could make a backup of my own stuff at least, especially for the descriptions

i would use that api/app... : )

cheers\joris

mastory

Jan 9, 2013, 12:24:56 PM1/9/13
to Ultimaker

This really sucks. They are all about marketing their brand now.
They have forgotte. n the user experience. My favorite way to browse
the objects is now dificult or impossible. I used to browse the new
things from the most rrcent until i got to something familiar. That
way i would miss anything. Have probably missed any new things for
months.

Cant figure out how to search effectively either on the new layout.

Torsten Paul

Jan 9, 2013, 12:27:57 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

On 01/09/2013 03:23 PM, Jeremie Francois wrote:
> One good thing is that I definitely would like to see the data backuped/ripped
> through their API. Come on, the designs are CC so I don't see why they would
> prevent it as long as it's done with care about their bandwidth... ;)

Well, it's not from yesterday, but just have a look there:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Thingiverse

ciao,
Torsten.

mastory

Jan 9, 2013, 12:28:17 PM1/9/13
to Ultimaker
Sure wish i could edit postings in this forum. Couple of dropped
contractions in my last ost confuse my intent

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 12:32:00 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Wow, 81Gb, would not even try to know what's in there :D

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 12:34:53 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Still understandable as I was doing the same. Now I'll get bored way before I can reach something the last new thing I saw on the previous session.
Hopefullly they will move all the customized things back to within their parent object... and fix the mess? It looks like pretty bad preparation that they let it go this way...

Torsten Paul

Jan 9, 2013, 12:36:48 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

On 01/09/2013 06:32 PM, Jeremie Francois wrote:
> Wow, 81Gb, would not even try to know what's in there :D

Why's that? Thinking of a specific kind of videos? :D

The smaller archive has a file list and that indicates that
all pictures, webpages and stl files are included. Considering
that lot's of stl files are multiple MB, some even >100MB
the size is quite explainable.

ciao,
Torsten.

Simone Cortesi

Jan 9, 2013, 12:38:57 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Mark Cohen <markc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Makerbot created Thingiverse. They have always owned it.

didn't know, thanks,
S.

Erik de Bruijn (Ultimaker Team)

Jan 9, 2013, 12:51:01 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com

Op woensdag 9 januari 2013 15:51:45 UTC+1 schreef Mark Cohen het volgende:
Makerbot created Thingiverse. They have always owned it.

That is simply not true. When I first posted someThing to it (actually, thing 126, but it was one of the first things ever posted there) it was just Zach who'd made a web site with Adam and Bre. The site has been a platform for a community that existed since before Makerbot was launched. The site is powered by its community more than the people behind it, as long as they ARE in fact still behind it.

It's become a platform of Makerbot corporation more and more, and most people didn't see the subtle changes because they were made slowly over time. But now they start deleting harmless content and they keep some of the more disturbing content, in a way policing what should be online. They also decide what gets featured, not that that's bad, but this selectively can leave out Ultimaker upgrades, so commercial interest gets in the way of free communication. I can't blame them for that, but its a consequence WE have take into account as contributors. The sad thing is that currently there's no real alternative. If you let us know what an alternative should look like... we will think about it :)

46 designs later I'm starting to dislike thingiverse more because we will never know where they're going with the content that I created. It was so different when it was just Zach, Adam and Bre before they founded Makerbot.

Erik
Ultimaker

Laurence Laycock

Jan 9, 2013, 1:58:18 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
wow the new thingiverse interface is rubbish :( it's really frustrating trying to find things now - especially in the category section - it was so much easier to use...beforehand.

Laurence

Follow us on TwitterGoogle+Facebook

IMAGINE IT >> MAKE IT

Laurence Laycock

Jan 9, 2013, 1:59:52 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
actually ...when you move down to the next page it loads random things like arduino cases in math art and houshould categories O.o...

Mark Cohen

Jan 9, 2013, 2:02:09 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
My bad. I'll correct that:

Makerbot created Thingiverse. They have always owned it.

Becomes:

Zach Smith and Bre Pettis created Thingiverse in October 2008 and then
formed Makerbot in January 2009. So other than the 3 months between,
it has been owned by Makerbot.

That is actually slightly more accurate.I did not think that really
needed to be explained.
> Ultimaker - easy, open source 3D printing!
> Follow us on Twitter, Google+, Facebook
>
> IMAGINE IT >> MAKE IT

Alexander Baloche

Jan 9, 2013, 2:13:55 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
The changes are ok, a bit lacking in the creativity department but then considering the current owner, you shouldn't get your expectations up to high.

What i personally as a community member don't get is why there is so much ado about it, seriously. We have know for 3 to 4 months now that makerbot is creating a closed eco-system, we knew that the same day the replicator II was launched. We know or should sort of know that they are priming thingiverse to be the central design depository hub, so that once a DRM is implemented it will be implemented on thingiverse and your makerbot  will only be able to print files once it has been uploaded and approved by the thingiverse committee, effectively taking the creative flow of design by the balls, as Erik stated (but not in those words). I don't see anything new here, what i do find remarkable is that the community has knowing this for more than 3 months now and nothing has been done to counteract this clear and present danger to the creative design. Except a lot of talk, yes talk on the subject is in abundance.

Seriously,  F^&^& makerbot they are slow and incompetent strategists, they only seem fast because the community has a complete lack of focus.

The real question behind this makerbot move is, 'how does a community make the creative flow of designs free from (corporate) greed?'. In other words how do you make it economically sustainable without selling out your core beliefs?

There are a pletora of different ways to do it. more main stream like using marketing space (not nice but possible) or more off a new approach such as a kickstarter campaign (for getting the start-up cash to get over the first 6 months) and/or set-up a design-store system whereby some pieces are charged and part of that goes directly to maintaining the website and community or a mix of free members who have to pay for certain (not all!!!) designs mixed with paid membership that get them for free. I can think of several more on the spot but without a community consensus nothing will happen.

Alexander

Op woensdag 9 januari 2013 10:57:22 UTC+1 schreef Gijs het volgende:
haha, great... try to launch their customizer app:

This app will be able to:

  • Access your profile information.
  • Interact with Things on your behalf.
  • Edit your Things.
  • Post new Things for you.

or is it not so bad as it sounds?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Daid <dai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thingiverse got updated, now it's called MakerbotThingiverse. The layout also got updated, taking up more screenspace I think.

They also released an API, which might not say a lot to a lot of people, but it means programmers (like me) can access features of thingiverse. I haven't looked into details yet, but it's not allowed to make a "thingiverse clone" with it. But it might be useful to Cura in some way.

Anyhow, feel free to say what you think about the changes :-)

Daid

Jan 9, 2013, 2:39:51 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Now there is an idea. An app to export your data, and then on another site, have an function to import that export format. Dumping your data is not against the TOS, it's just to get your own data safe, just to get something that is already yours. (And it is yours according to the site TOS)

Jelle Boomstra

Jan 9, 2013, 2:45:23 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
If said app then also replaces the previous content with pictures of unhappy faces (or faeces if that is your thing) then I would use it. But the main thing still is migrate to where? thingtracker.net?

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 3:42:33 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Yep, as soon as there is a tool to extract his own creation (not against the TOS I hope!!), it would be easy to extend this tool towards exporting to other db. Then it would be up to each designer to run it on his own collections, and it could be made as easy as two login configurations... Most of the designers would probably adopt it easily

BTW, it could be possible now to have a "live" search + import + print option within cura... ;)

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 4:26:26 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
There are excellent ideas on this thingtracker.net (Gary Hodgson, right?), thanks for the link!

The idea between sharing normalized pointers to a network (and not the data itself) would make obsolete the need to find+make+support+convert+advertize one single place to host everything.
In steel think it would be the "easiest" approach in the short term, but anyhow such a thingiverse alternative definitely should support thhingtracker imho.
Actually, it is so true that people have different technical & legal requirements for hosting their designs here and not there, including their own private place, but thingtracker would prevent the corresponding fragmentation and lack of visibility, while requiring only one place to maintain indeed...

The big drawback may be to make search easy, normalize categorization of things for example, implement derivative paths etc.
In anycase I think they are worth the discussions though.

Jeremie Francois

Jan 9, 2013, 4:43:11 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
The idea NOT to compete with thingiverse is also a big plus :)

Daid

Jan 9, 2013, 4:58:48 PM1/9/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
To bad the idea includes "tracker can also include thingiverse" which is against the thingiverse TOS. Makerbot doesn't want us to host and spread our own stuff, they want to have the control over the large repository.

Marcelino Llano

Jan 10, 2013, 4:16:06 AM1/10/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Im probably saying nothing new but read this carefully: get over it.

If you have a product and ecosystem (much like iPhone/iPad plus App Store)
it is dumb not to integrate it. It was theirs to begin with, they want to make clear
and they did. Not that they did it in a brilliant way, but thats implementation details.

We all know by now that the company is moving away from hackers to consumers.
The hacker spirit is great marketing and I think thats why people get upset.
Not because they have the best printer, but because they are selling with a great plan
and financing behind. Its the Steve-jobs modus operandi all over again.

The plan consists in taking any hacker-tool and making it user-friendly.
Like the Makerbot from Prusa or OpenSCAD now into Makerbot Thingiverse.
Dual extrusion is in the door too.

Now, we can complain all we want but this wont change. The Makerbot we knew
is different now so I think we should stop holding to the old idea.

Rather than copying thingiverse we should think about how thingiverse would be
if done again today. Maybe has version control, maybe OpenSCAD is not a different
app (which is super strange) but something integrated in every part that creates new
versions under it, maybe we can integrate with things like tinkercad, maybe is even
just a repository with a search option, maybe you can save and retrieve directly from
cura. These are just ideas make on the spot, but there is a great opportunity here.

I'm a product designer and I work defining digital products and I'm willing to help
if you want to go on with this.

bbum

Jan 10, 2013, 5:23:27 PM1/10/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
The point, though, is that even if you were a MakerBot owner and a die-hard MakerBot fan, Thingiverse's new user interface would still suck a bag of rotting cow crap.

It is an awful user experience.

An example.  One of many.   Go to the newest/ page and scroll down... "ooh... i link at the bottom I want to click"... "WAIT! WHERE DID IT GO!?!?  DAMNIT! THE AUTOLOADING OF MORE NEW STUFF CAUSED IT TO SCROLL!?"

This is a design 101 mistake.   Next?   Try clicking on any given thing on the "newest" page.  Now click "back".   Whoops.   Your position in the newest list is lost.  Good luck wading through the hairy assload of iphone cases and custom ring designs to find it!

Thingiverse was passable before, with some issues but mostly usable, and this update has made it unusable.  Unusable not just in what we, as a non-Makerbot community, might desire, but unusable for their primary market, too.

On a more useful, less rant-y, note, it would seem that github is on the right path with their "make me" project (https://github.com/blog/1368-releasing-make-me).   Of course, they don't have the asset gallery and social features of Thingiverse that, despite the awful user experience, are quite nice.

b.bum

Daid

Jan 11, 2013, 4:49:00 AM1/11/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
The social features are KEY to a site like this. And Thingiverse moved those further away down on the site. Hell, it took them forever to get a comment system where you get notified that someone replied to your comment.

Also, the "like" button is in an odd place, it's no longer at the poeple that "liked" the object but it's the hart icon in the top right.

There are 3 main features for a "thing" site:
* Collaboration (social features)
* Searching/collecting/finding (Let's find something to print today!, or lets find that 1 object that I need)
* Printing assistance (totally absent from Thingiverse, except for the "instructions" free text field)

The new design is a step backwards in all 3.

Jelle Boomstra

Jan 11, 2013, 5:21:45 AM1/11/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Something positive to say about the new thingiverse: its mind-numbingbly dumb setup with the pictures (you can see them in various resolutions, but you cannot scroll to the next/previous) has been abandoned. I have no idea why it took them a site rewrite to do that, but it is a little step forward.
The switch to disquss really disgusts me, I do not trust that intrusive company with its horrible javascript at all. Probably a sale to/decision of an untrustworthy manager?

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

Maurice van Peursem

Jan 11, 2013, 7:42:16 AM1/11/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
>Something positive to say about the new thingiverse: its
>mind-numbingbly dumb setup with the pictures (you can see them in
>various resolutions, but you cannot scroll to the next/previous) has
>been abandoned.

But with abandoning this (indeed strange) feature, a new problem is
introduced. Some photo's are clipped (especially vertical ones), and
you can't click on the photo to see the original photo. In some
cases, important details on the photos aren't visible anymore!

Maurice

Jelle Boomstra

Jan 11, 2013, 7:50:26 AM1/11/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps they have a very smart web developer that is fixing his job security? With every bug he fixes, he introduces another two that are a little harder to find?

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ultimaker?hl=en

For information about the Ultimaker, visit: http://Ultimaker.com

Marcelino Llano

Jan 11, 2013, 8:24:23 AM1/11/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Someone forgot overflow hidden in there

Bill Dempsey

Jan 13, 2013, 5:22:03 PM1/13/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Tried the new Thingiverse and I agree with most here. It reeks of amateur interface design. Maybe they hired their 12 year old niece to program the new site? The old one was MUCH better than this (although it had it's problems, too.)

They are working toward making it completely MakerBot-centric, So, it looks like It's time for the community to come up with an open alternative. Unless one already exists? If it does, I'll head there immediately. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd even pay $25 per year membership to have access to a Thingiverse which was completely open for CC licensed objects build-able on any platform. Maybe somebody could do this as a start-up company? Ten thousand memberships for $25 a year is a quarter million dollars income. Plus, this base will grow massively in the next few years as 3-D printing explodes.

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:57:22 AM UTC-8, Gijs wrote:
haha, great... try to launch their customizer app:

This app will be able to:

  • Access your profile information.
  • Interact with Things on your behalf.
  • Edit your Things.
  • Post new Things for you.

or is it not so bad as it sounds?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Daid <dai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thingiverse got updated, now it's called MakerbotThingiverse. The layout also got updated, taking up more screenspace I think.

They also released an API, which might not say a lot to a lot of people, but it means programmers (like me) can access features of thingiverse. I haven't looked into details yet, but it's not allowed to make a "thingiverse clone" with it. But it might be useful to Cura in some way.

Anyhow, feel free to say what you think about the changes :-)

Jeremie Francois

Jan 14, 2013, 4:08:54 AM1/14/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Yep this image cropping really sucks a lot as it makes the pictures look like badly shot or designed, which adds insult to injury
Even the thumbnails seem better than the large pics!
I hope (and guess) they'll fix it in the end, but this is not serious how they could let such silly bugs go through when they have $$$ to pay their developers! :(

Joris [van Tubergen]

Jan 14, 2013, 6:31:13 PM1/14/13
to ulti...@googlegroups.com
Yeah... Weekly Cup number one got featured on thingiverse...! Number two will be published soon...
[I must admit, I added 'on ultimaker' after it was featured...]

Ian Spring

Jan 15, 2013, 3:54:14 AM1/15/13