Questions for the Untity crew regarding the new direction

eportel6607

Jul 11, 2012, 11:11:43 AM7/11/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,
I've been re-inspired lately to move forward with my plans.  I've had some success on other projects but would like to still use Unity when the time comes. In fact I would like to switch over the base of these existing projects to Unity.  With that said I have some questions that I was hoping to get answered to get a better overall picture of what's going on. Some of these questions I’ve asked before when Unity first started but I think it needs to be asked again to be clear.

  1. I understand that Cooker is Mandriva’s devel repo of packages that will eventually become the next release. My question is why use unstable packages for Unity? Why not use packages that are stable? This makes some of us uneasy using unstable packages for our base as Unity has had it’s share of broken packages.

  2. What exactly is the new relationship between Unity and Mandriva and what benefits will Unity get from this new relationship?

  3. Is there a time frame on when there might be a stable, usable base image to build off of?

  4. What is Rosa and it’s relationship with Mandriva?

  5. How will all of the packages/repos work now that the Mandriva and Unity are working together? Like when we connect with Unity using Smart will it pull it’s package directly from cooker from Mandriva’s repos? What about the Unity brandin and Branch branding package...where will these be stored?

  6. Are the packages that come from Cooker branded “mdv” like they are when using Mandriva or are they generic?

  7. Is it possible to have a custom kernel built to serve a broader range of new/older computers?

  8. Do branches need to have their own repos for branch specific packages? If so any recommendations as to were to host this repo?

  9. Will there be some sort of build environment ISO to build packages for Unity and it’s branches.

  10. When a branch rebrands does the Unity directories and files remain and simple get replaced with the branch’s images/config files or does the “Unity” named files/directories get renamed/replaced during the re branding?

  11. Does the current http://docs.unity-linux.org/Branching_Guide hold true with the new Unity?

  12. I understand that Mandriva took out the mklivecd “app” out of their disto years ago and that Unity is doing the development work on it. Can that mklivecd “app” be dropped into Mandriva’s current image and actually have it work like it used too?

Thanks guys. These are some of the questions that I had thinking about. I look forwarded to seeing great things happen with this new relationship between Unity and Mandriva. Nice work Unity Devs!

Chris