Douglas Wilson

Oct 16, 2012, 2:34:30 PM10/16/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

Howdy,

Is Unity going places anymore or has it joined with Mandriva all the way now? At first it was a vibrant community but it has stop being that, where do we stand with Unity, is it going anywhere?

Doug

--
Use Linux

Matthew Dawkins

Oct 16, 2012, 2:56:12 PM10/16/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently now merging MDV cooker into Rosa ABF.

devnet

Oct 16, 2012, 7:48:42 PM10/16/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Matthew Dawkins <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm currently now merging MDV cooker into Rosa ABF.

That's great for MDV and Rosa.  What does it mean for Unity?

Matthew Dawkins

Oct 16, 2012, 10:21:02 PM10/16/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
The migration to Rosa's ABF brings back the greater support of a larger community, and liveiso creation and branding. It is even more possible with ABF b/c the use of private repos and git.

Raphaël Jadot

Oct 17, 2012, 1:49:34 AM10/17/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the support of iso generating can be supported easily trough ABF.
Furthermore, the fact it's based on git let create branches. UL, with
its differences (smart, different kernel, liveCD etc) can, imho, most
easily continue to live, both in taking what it wants in the master,
and sharing its own developments. This is how Rosa Desktop will do.

This is also how other projects will do, I hope. The goal of the
foundation is less to provide a distro as is than to provide the place
where good stuff will be developed and shared.

Raphaël Jadot

freedomrun

Oct 17, 2012, 2:04:49 AM10/17/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Something like PPA repos for Ubuntu. So we gain even more flexibility
to get apps that don`t yet exist in contrib repo or any other, also,
even more important separate Unity Linux repo is already created for our
branding purpose and other speacial packages.

Chris Evans

Oct 17, 2012, 2:59:24 AM10/17/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

Oct 17, 2012, 11:08:43 AM10/17/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Does this answer it? Unity is a vital part of this newly formed community. I still plan to put out the standard CLI iso and again get other remasters going under the UL brand.

The newly formed foundation is named
 OpenMandriva, but we as participants can release as we please. Unity is no longer the sole maintainer of the software and development, but one of many participants.

Douglas Wilson

Oct 17, 2012, 2:05:32 PM10/17/12
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
So really Unity Linux itself as something that was an idea put together is dead, now we are just another in a pool of things. Unity has lost it's identity. So do I got that right? I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just that there has been no news and no updates for a long time and with this answer it seems like Unity is not something different anymore just being put in a pool

Doug
--
Use Linux