Is anyone still here?

JMiahMan

Jan 19, 2015, 2:21:25 PM1/19/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
In case you didn't know Devnet discontinued development of what we will call the old Unity-Linux December 8th. I have decided to keep it going, and Dev was gracious enough to turn the domain over to me. Since the code base was rather old and based on Mandriva I decided to start from scratch. Using a modified version of Openwrt I have created a new chroot based on uClibc and GCC 4.8.3 that's completely independent of anyone distribution (and I plan to keep it that way) and I am starting form the ground up. I would love to hear your feed back on package managers etc.. and suggestions. You can find more information on the website http://unit-linux.org and I'll be on IRC. Thanks

Kind regards,

Jeremiah

Paulo Santos

Jan 19, 2015, 4:04:45 PM1/19/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Actually, the website is http://unity-linux.org/ :-D
It's good to know that unity linux is still alive. I'm just a linux intermediate user, but if I can help with something, just let me know :)
About package managers...I think that it will be a huge discussion... I would rather first try to realize if we are going to stick with .rpm or change to other format and, later, discuss that.

devnet

Jan 19, 2015, 4:05:46 PM1/19/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
I am still here and find this new approach attractive.  So you can count on me being around Jman

Douglas Wilson

Jan 19, 2015, 4:06:07 PM1/19/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am still here. :) For package mangers apt is good with a package app store as frontend

Use Linux

Richard

Jan 19, 2015, 4:15:55 PM1/19/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremiah,

I'm still here.

As you know, I'm not a coder but if you get something off the ground I'll
happily do some testing for you.

I still have my Eeeps running ROSE (Richard's Operating System for Eeepc)
linux - made with the original Unity.

Packaging, I only know RPM. (A bit)

I'd like to see MCC included, I don't know why other distributions than
Mandriva/Rosa/Mageia and PclinxOS don't use it.

--
Richard.
http://www.leiston.info

Kate Draven

Jan 20, 2015, 2:25:27 AM1/20/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Kate steps up onto her soapbox (no short jokes) and prepares to speak (aye, I
have an odd personality, hang on for dear life...).

I'm glad to see this happening, sorry to see Dev go. I have been quietly
lurking in the darkness waiting for something hopeful to happen with regard
to linux. I'm extremely disappointed and disillusioned by what's happened, of
late, with linux in general as well as with desktop GUIs. Everyone is jumping
on the commercial competition / "users are stupid, so flash it up and dumb it
down" bandwagon rather than building something that works and having faith
that users can learn. I have many MS and Apple refugees that have adapted
quite well and would never go back.

I'm a loyal person, and stick with what works. I've been using Ark Linux
2008.1 since we finished it because it does everything I need. However Bero
abandoned the project to pursue his own interests. Honestly, it left me a
little bitter. I had conducted usability studies using over 100 volunteers
(thanks to the lovely Senior Center) so I could help to create a simple
installer (you lot should see it) and modified the desktop logically, to
provide easy access to things (programs/files/dirs etc) in a direct manner.
Years of work for nothing.

Since Ark Linux's death I've been patching (ugly patchs) it to keep it going
until something came along. I want something I can believe in as I did Ark
when it was moving forward, albeit up hill, but such is life. If you
lads/lasses are serious about this and are will to hear everyone involved
out, I'm in.

As before I have a bank of test machines, laptops, desktops, for use on a
worthy project. I'm a troubleshooter and a jack of all trades, especially
with hardware. I understand enough about coding to get into trouble but I
usually find my way out.

If this project means to an honorable project, offering a usable GNU Linux
distro, free of politics, useless bickering, attitudes, "trending", fashion
following (honestly who puts micro sized, light grey lettering on a webpage
with a white background?), proprietary shortcuts and other things that have
causes free distros to fall into ruin whilst commercial ones like Android
prevail, again, I'm in.

Kate hops off her soapbox and disappears into the darkness....

Kate Draven

Kate Draven

Jan 20, 2015, 2:31:26 AM1/20/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Paulo Santos, one step at a time. Keeping that in mind, let's not
worry about the GUI before there's a commandline app. Consider this. Once a
package format has been decided upon, and a commandline tool as well,
building a gui for it isn't likely to be too hard given the talent here.

Kate

Kate Draven

Jan 20, 2015, 2:33:56 AM1/20/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Ah, Dev I thought you were leaving the project. I'm so glad that's not the
case.

Cheers,

Kate

dillj

Jan 20, 2015, 8:38:21 AM1/20/15
to ul-developers
Woha, activity on this mailinglist?

I'll gladly do some testing as well.

Cheers
Jon

Raphaël Jadot

Mar 21, 2015, 10:10:31 PM3/21/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Any news?  :)

Jeremiah Summers

Mar 22, 2015, 2:02:45 PM3/22/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

No I am at a stand still getting rpm5 to work with musl.. still slowly moving along with it. I  in the middle of buying a house and moving as well so that has slowed me down quite a bit, but I am still working on it. Light C Libraries always come with some work and compromise.

OnlyHuman

Apr 8, 2015, 4:09:36 PM4/8/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
The new unity-linux website has been down for sometime, and no word on irc channel from Jeremiah, wondering what is going on.

Raphaël Jadot

Apr 8, 2015, 4:42:08 PM4/8/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
I also hope the best for UL, it was a place with lot of nice and friendly people, hope to see it alive again

Kate Draven

Apr 8, 2015, 4:49:55 PM4/8/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
> I also hope the best for UL, it was a place with lot of nice and friendly
> people, hope to see it alive again
Well said Raphaël, I second this.
Cheers to all,

Kate Draven
> --001a113a5d528a030305133c90db

and friendly people, hope to see it alive again<br></div><div
class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">2015-04-08 22:09 GMT+02:00
OnlyHuman <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:halo....@googlemail.com"
class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">The new unity-linux website has been
down for sometime, and no word on irc channel from Jeremiah, wondering what
7:21:25 PM UTC, JMiahMan wrote:<blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:0;margin-left:0.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">Hello all,<br>In case you didn&#39;t
know Devnet discontinued development of what we will call the old Unity-Linux
December 8th. I have decided to keep it going, and Dev was gracious enough to
turn the domain over to me. Since the code base was rather old and based on
Mandriva I decided to start from scratch. Using a modified version of Openwrt
I have created a new chroot based on uClibc and GCC 4.8.3 that&#39;s
completely independent of anyone distribution (and I plan to keep it that
way) and I am starting form the ground up. I would love to hear your feed
back on package managers etc.. and suggestions. You can find more information
on the website <a href="http://unit-linux.org" rel="nofollow"
target="_blank">http://unit-linux.org</a> and I&#39;ll be on IRC.
Thanks<br><br>Kind
class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5">

> -- <br>
&quot;ul-developers&quot; group.<br>
email to <a href="mailto:ul-developer...@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">ul-developer...@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

href="mailto:ul-developer...@googlegroups.com">ul-developer...@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
> For more options, visit <a
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br />

Jeremiah Summers

Apr 9, 2015, 10:14:45 AM4/9/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

Its running on my home server that is no longer running.  Im in the middle of moving and things have gotten a tad complicated, Ill try and find a stable connection soon to get it back up.. its nice someone noticed.

OnlyHuman

Apr 10, 2015, 9:37:08 AM4/10/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
It would have been nice to have seen you on irc occasionally, but I realise moving is a major event, hope it all goes well for you and your family, and look forward to your return to unity-linux. O H

Raphaël Jadot

Jun 1, 2015, 6:00:16 PM6/1/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I know the project seems dead, but I'd however would like to know if it's not possible to make it revive.

If I'm correct Unity Linux was mainly working on these aspects, a specific core, repos which were based on Mandriva's repos, smart package manager and the livecd tool.

Sorry if I make mistakes, but the website is not there so I can't check :)

Would you think possible that if UL was based on an existing (and living) distro (Red Hat, Rosa...) it would be possible to make it revive by first focusing on livecd tool?

cheers

Raphaël

Jeremiah Summers

Aug 18, 2015, 9:42:26 AM8/18/15
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for the really late response Raphael. Unity has been revived, but in a different sense then it was in the past. A new tool chain has been created based on Gcc 5.1 and using musl libc. I am the sole developer at this point though I have help from multiple projects. Unity at this point is more closely aligned to its musl friends like Alpine Linux, but borrows from fedora when convenient (ie. RPM, DNF, hawkeye). The current divide and history of Mandriva over the last 5 - 10 years has personally caused me to deem the Mandriva/ OpenMandriva project as good as dead.. In fighting, lack of direction, and leadership has gutted the project for much to long. Unity working so closely with Mandriva in the past was a big reason I left Unity a few years ago and patiently waited for it to be gutted and left for dead.. And sadly it was as I publicly predicted. When the domain ended up being pointed to someone's personal blog it was finally time to bring the project back and way back. I am trying to bring it back to some of the original ideas we had for it, that ignited my passion to work on it in the first place. Its been a rather slow process but currently I am happy with it's progress and it's direction and care not to impede upon that with any drake/driva drama that's still taking place. Thanks though.

Kind Regards

JMiahMan

Paul LeBlanc aka Gemini

Jun 25, 2016, 8:24:01 PM6/25/16
to ul-developers
JMan? Devnet? Anybody? I'm trying to get back in touch but seem to have lost the way

Jeremiah Summers

Jun 27, 2016, 3:10:25 AM6/27/16
to ul-dev...@googlegroups.com

Still her ever so slowly doing Cisco courses in my spare time and starting a new Job at IO so things arent progressing fast.

Paul LeBlanc aka Gemini

Jul 11, 2016, 8:40:16 PM7/11/16
to ul-developers
Cisco?? Yaaaaa.... how ... ex-citing :P