Launch Announcement - Elsworth UK 20/05/2024

Steve

May 20, 2024, 2:26:29 AMMay 20
to UKHAS
Hi Folks.  There should be a launch today from Elsworth - expecting
about 12pm.

Couple of trackers - both 100 baud 4FSK Horus:

    434.250MHz - callsign Xpico

    434.475MHz - callsign Ypico

Kind regards

    Steve G8KHW

www.avg.com

Steve

May 20, 2024, 4:02:15 PMMay 20
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone that tracked today - payload easily recovered from a
sheep field.  Nice Farmer - very helpful and interested in what we were
doing.

Bought some of the farm's delicious Ewes milk ice cream from their shop
- mint chock chip - Yum. Tag line: "Ewe Scream Ice Cream"

Amazed how many folk tracked give the short notice.

Kind Regards

    Steve G8KHW

Mark Jessop

May 20, 2024, 6:29:06 PMMay 20
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Pretty good turnout!

XPico:
Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 07.56.16.png

Ypico:
Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 07.56.29.png

I'm curious what the telemetry data included? It certainly didn't look like atmospheric pressure!
Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 07.56.06.png

73
Mark VK5QI

Steve

May 21, 2024, 6:28:31 AMMay 21
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Mark,

    Good point about the sensor data - I hadn't noticed.  There are no sensors onboard and it seems I haven't zeroed out the sensor fields - must be random values from somewhere.

The Battery voltage and temperature fields are the only ones that are valid - the temperature is from the processor.

The trackers are pretty basic - Pi Pico + uBlox6 + NTX2B + 2 x AAA Lithium-Iron-Disulphide batteries.  Just reusing up old parts with Pi pico.

    Steve G8KHW

Andrew Mulholland

May 21, 2024, 12:54:46 PMMay 21
to UKHAS
What code were you running Steve on the Pi Pico? Don't think I've heard of anyone else flying Pi Picos beyond us and CUSF (we both use the same codebase modified from Dave's initial Pi Pico code), so am especially curious.

Sasha Tim

May 21, 2024, 1:02:13 PMMay 21
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I did make a Pi Pico tracker once, but I never flew it.

I'm assuming custom code?

73, Sasha VE3SVF

Steve

May 21, 2024, 2:44:10 PMMay 21
to uk...@googlegroups.com

The Xpico code was a quick hack on a low power tracker I am developing.  Its based on Horus Binary RadioLib (Auduino) modified to drive the radiometrix NTX2B (or LMT2) using PWM and an RC filter to give 4 voltage levels needed for 4FSK

    https://github.com/projecthorus/horusbinary_radiolib

    Steve

Gavin Gill

May 22, 2024, 7:46:55 AMMay 22
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I’m enjoying follow these two!
There doing a proper airfield tour at the moment 😂

Where did you estimate them to land, will be good to see how close or far off they end up?

Kind Regards,

Gavin Gill
Ga...@me.com
+44 (0)750 1190 786

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 May 2024, at 07:26, Steve <st...@randomaerospace.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks. There should be a launch today from Elsworth - expecting about 12pm.

Steve

May 22, 2024, 5:19:26 PMMay 22
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Predicted vs actual:

About 1/2 mile apart.   A fair bit of luck involved.

    Steve