Yokohama Floater Launch - Sunday 20th - LoRa (UKHAS and TinyGS) & Horus FSK4

Kev Walton

Feb 12, 2023, 10:13:04 AM2/12/23
to UKHAS
Hi All

I am  hoping to do a launch today, Sunday 12th, around 18.00 GMT from Northamptonshire, UK of a Yokohama Balloon, carrying a custom built tracker, based originally on the TBTracker code base, but heavily expanded and modified.

Looking to A) retest my tracker design with the fault fixed from the last flight, B) getting my LoRa transmissions received by the TinyGS network (https://tinygs.com/) and C) getting a Yokohama to float again.  Flight path is predicted to take it on a slow track across Holland & Germany.

The tracker is based on the ATmega1284 running at 1.8432Mhz, Ublox GPS and DRF1278 radio module, all with a 2.7v VCC (I ran out of 1.8v capable GPS modules, more on order on the slow boat).

Yokohama balloon is 48.6g and was pre stretched at 0.27PSI up to about 100" circumference and filled to 7g of free lift.

Transmission details:

LoRa - KW-BCK2 - Mode 2, 433.090Mhz, 3 sentences once every ~ 2 minutes
    Field String of 0123456AI9, RX frequency for me of 433.097 with the tracker in the cold.

Horus FSK4 - G7PMO-V2 - 100 Baud, 244Hz shift, 434.340Mhz, 3 binary packets once every ~ 2 minutes
    RX tuning frequency for me was about 434.339,2Mhz with the tracker in the cold.

Listeners, reports and feedback highly appreciated.

Thanks very much
Kev

Antal Vincz

Feb 12, 2023, 11:13:05 AM2/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kev,

Good luck!

Can you drop a message to here when the balloon is lanched?

Thank you

73' Tony
M0GLU

Kev Walton

Feb 12, 2023, 11:52:15 AM2/12/23
to UKHAS
Thanks Tony

I think it is going to be early (said a HAB launch never!)  Just sealing the balloon now.

Cheers
Kev

Antal Vincz

Feb 12, 2023, 12:07:55 PM2/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

I'm following the HAB-HUB and my LoRa station is listening.

Mark Jessop

Feb 12, 2023, 4:36:27 PM2/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Also worth noting that due to the non-standard tone shift on the 4FSK transmission, users of Horus-GUI will likely need to untick the 'Enable Mask Estimator' checkbox to be able to decode.
I recommend doing this instead of changing the tone spacing setting, as otherwise that setting will be saved and you won't be able to decode any 'regular' 4FSK transmitters! Disabling the mask estimator only marginally degrades performance for extremely weak signals.

image.png

73
Mark VK5QI

Kevin Walton

Feb 12, 2023, 4:56:46 PM2/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com, Mark Jessop
Thanks Mark, lots of 4fsk recievers helping out.  The 244 spacing is not intentional, but a limitation of the SX127x radio chips as I understand it.

On another note, I'm getting lots of great reception from the tinygs.com network too, 14 stations at peak so far.

https://tinygs.com/packet/72e2e23a-c496-469c-9385-07ac772ec7fe

I see a potential project of a tinygs.com to amateur.sondehub.org uploader 🥰

Cheers
Kev
--
Sent from my Android device. Please excuse my brevity.

dan...@adkin.net

Feb 16, 2023, 4:36:33 PM2/16/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

On 12/02/2023 16:52, 'Kev Walton' via UKHAS wrote:
> I think it is going to be early (said a HAB launch never!) Just
> sealing the balloon now.

Sent from my Android device. Please excuse my brevity.

Kevin Walton

Feb 16, 2023, 4:53:51 PM2/16/23
to 'Kev Walton' via UKHAS, clark...@zen.co.uk
Hi All

A quick write up from my balloon launch the other day and a big thank you to all who tracked it.

I started a little late due to a GPS issue - what I thought was a lack of GPS reception due to the batteries being strapped too close to the GPS antenna, turned out to be a GPS issue due to low voltage. The 2.7v out of the on board regulator had always been fine to power the GPS when powered from a Power Supply, but when powered from 2 x AA apparently was just too low! A quick resistor change on the feedback pin, increasing the voltage to 3v and all was sorted ready for launch - or so I thought!

Launch was uneventful, out of the loft Velux and straight up in almost zero wind, being picked up by a couple of UK stations almost immediately - G8KNN, G6GZH on both LoRa and Horus FSK4, followed rapidly by a growing number of tinygs.com stations. I don't have access to the first tinygs station, but I do know that before long we reached a peak of 25 simultaneous receptions through the tinygs network thanks to G4Lile0 and his team.

https://tinygs.com/packet/0c840556-c99f-4b60-b65f-badc3448b988

The Yokohama balloon floated nicely, up at 10km despite a heavy (for a floater) 40g payload, but sooner after it reached float a GPS issue appeared again and hindered the tracking at various points, reporting 0 satellites sporadically during the flight. Not sure if it was the same issue as on the ground, or a different one - will probably never know!

The 2 x Energiser Lithium AA's lasted longer than expected, and having survived my second night I was really surprised seeing battery voltages up around 2.75v still. However I was running out of receivers at that point, leaving Europe to the South of Malta I ran out of Lora, 4FSK, Web SDR's and TinyGS stations, so that was that.  Perhaps I need to add wspr / ft8 to these trackers too!

Next job is I think a tinygs to sondehub uploader so we can get the data out of the tinygs network into the map and grafana system on sondehub. I did manually feed a few packets in from tinygs to sondehub via the api using swagger at the end when we were really struggling.

https://grafana.v2.sondehub.org/d/HJgOZLq7k/basic?var-Payload=KW-BCK2&from=1676228400000&to=1676379600000&orgId=1

https://grafana.v2.sondehub.org/d/HJgOZLq7k/basic?var-Payload=G7PMO-V2&from=1676228400000&to=1676379600000&orgId=1

https://tinygs.com/satellite/HAB_ISM_433.09_M2

https://github.com/KevWal/BasicTracker - Hardware

https://github.com/KevWal/KWTracker - Software

Thanks again all.

Cheers

Kev
Flight2c.JPG
Screenshot_20230212_204721_Chrome.jpg
IMG_20230212_190633_844.jpg
IMG_20230212_161343_366.jpg

Nigel Worsley

Feb 16, 2023, 5:39:53 PM2/16/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
China could easily launch thousands of picos, the cost to the US in missiles to shoot them all down would be huge.

Nigel Worsley

dan...@adkin.net

Feb 18, 2023, 4:16:15 AM2/18/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Steve

Feb 18, 2023, 5:13:39 AM2/18/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Lets hope pico ballooning does not become a victim of its own popularity.

    Steve G8KHW