LoRa SSDV Balloon - Sunday 11th, 8am BST - Northamptonshire

Kevin Walton

Sep 9, 2022, 3:16:41 AM9/9/22
to UKHAS, clark...@zen.co.uk

Hi

I hope to release a PITS style payload and balloon on the morning of Sunday (11th) around 8am from Northamptonshire.

It will be transmitting:

                Main LoRa Downlink - 434.712 Mode 1, telemetry every 11 image packets

                LoRa Calling Mode - 433.650 every 50 LoRa packets

The Telemetry sentence will be:

    ID,Ctr,Time,Lat,Lon,Alt,Speed,Head,Sats,Int.Temp,Volts,CDA,Pred.Lat,Pred.Lon,Pred.Land,Pred.TTL,RSSI,SNR,Packets,Command

It is a 100g Latex balloon with a 120g payload, expecting a 16km burst after 55min with 390g neck lift from 440 Liters of Hydrogen.

Descent under a 18" chute with spill hole, expected at 5 m/s, current predicted landing N of Huntingdon.

Prediction here:

                http://predict.habhub.org/hourly/marston/

Tracking here, callsign KW01:

                https://tracker.habhub.org/

                https://amateur.sondehub.org/

Images here, callsign KW01:

                http://ssdv.habhub.org/

Any questions please ask.  All listeners appreciated!

Thanks very much

Kev

Kevin Walton

Sep 10, 2022, 5:25:14 PM9/10/22
to UKHAS, clark...@zen.co.uk
Looking good for launch tomorrow morning, keep your fingers crossed for me please :)

Prediction now S of Huntingdon.

Cheers
Kev
--
Sent from my Android device. Please excuse my brevity.

Kev Walton

Sep 15, 2022, 3:07:05 PM9/15/22
to UKHAS
Hi All

Sorry for the delay, but thank you for all the trackers last Sunday which enabled some great SSDV reception and recovery of the payload - dispite the max altitude being 25km, compared to a predicted 16km.

I'm not sure why it was so high - playing with the burst estimator, even if I dramatically over estimated payload weight, and dramatically under estimated neck lift, I can still only get to 21km.

A few photos attached.

Thanks
Kevin
20220911_120903.jpg
10_52_51.jpg
10_20_40.jpg
07_58_46.jpg
20220911_082913.jpg
Habhub-1.jpg
07_54_10.jpg
HabBase-Recovery2.jpg
20220911_080009.jpg
20220911_121032.jpg
20220911_121019.jpg
Habhub-2.jpg
SondegHub-AscentRate.jpg
20220911_084638.jpg
09_33_16.jpg

Steve

Sep 15, 2022, 3:09:05 PM9/15/22
to 'Kev Walton' via UKHAS

The Burst estimator underestimates the burst altitude for small balloons.

    Steve