Delay Getting a NOTAM

John Laidler

Aug 1, 2023, 1:59:46 PM8/1/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I applied for launch permission from the CAA last month. I knew I was cutting it fine as my dates only just gave them the 28 days notice. The launch window starts today but nothing had been heard.

I sent them an email today which received a prompt reply saying they are working through the applications and giving priority to those with the shortest dates. This hopefully includes me.  :-)

It's not critical yet as the weather is rubbish but next week things look better so I'm hoping the NOTAM will be issued by then.

This is just a heads up and the lesson seems to be to give them more than the minimum warning.

John
M0WIV

Steve

Aug 1, 2023, 2:43:52 PM8/1/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Likewise :- I applied for a permit over a month ago for a local site (not Elsworth), due to Start Saturday before last but didn't arrive. I've requested it to be re-scheduled but not heard back on that either.

Summer is their busiest time.

    Steve

Richard Fairman

Aug 1, 2023, 3:35:47 PM8/1/23
to UKHAS
I have the same problem.now over a month since application. I thought it was because the launch site is near a nuclear submarine base at Faslane

David Akerman

Aug 1, 2023, 3:41:45 PM8/1/23
to UKHAS
Steve, have you put in any requests recently for Elsworth and if so were those done in time?

I'm providing my site for a school project in the next couple of weeks or so and I'm thinking I should give the CAA as much notice as I can, though of course the NOTAM side is a lot less work for them than the permission is.

Dave

Steve

Aug 1, 2023, 3:49:11 PM8/1/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Yes - the Permit renewal on Ellsworth can through on the 5th July and I applied for a NOTAM against it on the 17th July which came through for the 20th July with the usual 72 hour notice.

    Steve

Steve

Aug 1, 2023, 3:54:56 PM8/1/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Someone should give them a ring and see whats going on - suggest we agree 1 person.

    Steve

David Akerman

Aug 1, 2023, 4:07:38 PM8/1/23
to UKHAS
Good to hear, thanks!

David Johnson

Aug 1, 2023, 4:40:23 PM8/1/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
We had a similar problems with both 1 month and 72 hours at B2Space.

Dave, G4DPZ

Sent from my iPhone

David Akerman

Aug 14, 2023, 2:11:09 PM8/14/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I've now had a NOTAM request not actioned in time for the requested window.  This is for my own launch site, for which I have a current permission/exemption certificate, and I gave the CAA 10 days notice - rather more than the stipulated 72 hours.

Fortunately the request was for 3 days (starting tomorrow) and we only need Wednesday now.  I've emailed the CAA to ask that they action the NOTAM request tomorrow.

I'll let you know what happens.

Dave

David Akerman

Aug 14, 2023, 2:12:26 PM8/14/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
And in addition to their apparent staffing issues, now they're having IT issues:

" WE CURRENTLY HAVE AN IT ISSUE THAT MAY AFFECT SUBMISSION OF FORMS THROUGH THE ONLINE PORTAL. PROCESSING OF NOTIFICATION REQUESTS MAY BE DELAYED"

John Laidler

Aug 14, 2023, 2:26:38 PM8/14/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I'm more or less in the same position. I had an application in for most of August which is still open. There was a weather window last week which I missed and again this week there's another but I can't see that being met. After that the forecast is poor.

I wonder if they couldn't respond by the start of the application period they simply delete the application?

I'm away in September but will submit another application this week for later in the year. Fingers crossed.

John

Steve

Aug 14, 2023, 3:20:02 PM8/14/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

It might be an idea to see if other groups are having problems getting NOTAMs - or if its just us that are being de-priortized - I'll ask round in the BMFA and commercial drone operators. groups.

    Steve

David Akerman

Aug 15, 2023, 6:36:06 AM8/15/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
After the CAA failed to issue the NOTAM on time for my requested window (3 days starting today) I sent a reminder last night, saying that I now just need permission for tomorrow.  That has now been processed and I can see the NOTAM on the AIS site.

I suppose I should get ready for it now :)

Dave

Steve

Aug 16, 2023, 7:07:57 AM8/16/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

That seems to be the way to do it - NOTAM visible on notaminfo.com

I checked with two groups I mentioned - and while there have been problems they are experiencing much less of an issue than us.   Suggest everyone chases up their Permit/NOTAM.

    Steve

Nick McCloud

Nov 26, 2023, 7:47:28 PM11/26/23
to UKHAS

Not entirely timely but this is somewhat of an eternal topic.

My permission for a test flight in June came in with hours to spare, which given my proximity to MAN airspace was going to be interesting but I'd already anticipated I'd have to have a northerly drift. My permission for a school flight required some polite poking and was processed evening of Friday for a Sat AM launch and arrived with perfuse apologies for the late notice.

I don't think it helps to give them more notice, I think it helps to gently remind them as they, like all of us, have 101 things to do and for them we aren't the most pressing item on their list.

The hardest thing to figure for a new launch site (not so much for the school, but certainly for my back garden), is what conditions may be attached to a launch.

Am I given to understand that the Elsworth & Dave's garden require the same form submitting as us mere mortals now?

Nick

Steve

Nov 27, 2023, 5:18:37 AM11/27/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Yes Its the same online form to fill in - but I reference the existing permit and request the new permit for a year. The permit itself then provides the procedure to request a NOTAM.

Of course all I had to do in the past was drop and email that just said - "please extend my exiting permit"  but that's progress I guess.

Good point about keeping reminding them - got the same impression myself.

    Steve