Launch Announcement - 11th May (5:30am) London - Mission Impoppable 9

Andrew Mulholland

May 10, 2024, 12:38:56 PMMay 10
to UKHAS
Another year, another group of Westminster school students have caught the ballooning bug!

The students are planning to move forward with a single launch from Vincent Square in central London tomorrow (Saturday 11th May) at 05:30am. This once again has special permission from the CAA along with a requirement to work closely with ATC on the day. The early start is a requirement from the CAA.

The balloon is a 350g balloon aiming for 17km altitude, with the payload coming in around 2.6KG.

The payload includes a range of atmospheric sensors and a camera. In addition to this, there is a Raspberry Pi Flextrak sending back pictures and a Radiosonde backup.

The real purpose of this flight though is testing their new flight controller board and code, with the plan for a larger flight later hopefully in the term.
The launch features 3 (transmitting) trackers.
  • WSHAB1 - 434.275MHz, LoRa Mode 1 (including SSDV) - Raspberry Pi Flextrak
  • WSHAB2 - 434.425MHz, LoRa Mode 1 (no SSDV, issues with mode 0, so had to go mode 1) - Custom Raspberry Pi Pico tracker. This one sends back most of the atmospheric data.
  • WS-RS1 - 434.600MHz,  Horus Binary 4FSK V2 on 434.600 Mhz - callsign WS-RS1 - This is a reprogrammed Radiosonde RS41, only really there in case all else fails...

Predictions have it slowing drifting north east right now. I've fed a bunch of different predictions into our system (which pulls its predictions from Tawhiri) for potential bursts - https://predict.gbaman.info/

I know the students will appreciate any help tracking, if anyone happens to be up that time of the morning on a Saturday! They won't be doing any tracking of their own of WS-RS1 (with it being a backup). Their focus will be WSHAB1 and WSHAB2 on LoRa.

Many thanks
Andrew - Westminster School

Andrew Mulholland

May 11, 2024, 12:25:04 AMMay 11
to UKHAS
So due to a delay with the payload prep, we're now looking at 5:45am launch.
Also the Radiosonde has been switched over to the backup (with different callsign of FHS-RS1), same settings.

Max Dymond

May 11, 2024, 2:54:54 AMMay 11
to UKHAS
Looked like a good flight! Hope the recovery goes well.

Andrew Mulholland

May 11, 2024, 3:24:18 AMMay 11
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for the help, an easy recovery from a field, just 2 mins walk from the road!