resurrecting a hab project

Phil Newman

Apr 9, 2023, 5:24:21 PM4/9/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.
Over the last couple years i've been on/off building a hab, primarily following the guides on ukhas. I've been doing it by myself so sometimes my motivation has waned.
I wanted to build as much as possible from scratch, so I built my own circuit boards and RTTY tracker using a rpi pico and ntx2b. I pretty much had everything complete last year but stalled when it came to buying the chute, balloon, and the rising prices of helium.
And now that habhub has gone i find myself wondering how best to move forward.
I'd like to keep my tracker if i can. I understand that the basic lat, long, alt, fields are supported by horus gui + sondehub amateur. Or that HAB Base can also support the additional fields of the ukhas sentence (temp etc) which would be nice to keep. So I think i'm ok to stick with my tracker? Is that right? or should i really consider switching to LORA or horus binary?
Another issue I was facing is that I live very close to Gatwick Airport. I'm pretty sure that rules out launching anywhere nearby. When looking further afield for a launch site, do you have to have the landowners permission or could I use a public park as an example?
Thanks for any assistance you could provide.

Phil.

Steve

Apr 10, 2023, 4:09:22 PM4/10/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Phil - comments below

    Steve

On 09/04/2023 22:24, Phil Newman wrote:
Hi all.
Over the last couple years i've been on/off building a hab, primarily following the guides on ukhas. I've been doing it by myself so sometimes my motivation has waned.
I wanted to build as much as possible from scratch, so I built my own circuit boards and RTTY tracker using a rpi pico and ntx2b. I pretty much had everything complete last year but stalled when it came to buying the chute, balloon, and the rising prices of helium.
SR: Yep - helium is very expensive - you could consider Hydrogen - or cut Helium requirements to a minimum - reduce you payload weight and ride on a smaller balloon.

And now that habhub has gone i find myself wondering how best to move forward.
I'd like to keep my tracker if i can. I understand that the basic lat, long, alt, fields are supported by horus gui + sondehub amateur.
SR: If you already have RTTY working the Horus GUI support of basic UKHAS RTTY is the way to go IMO (loosing the extra fields).   There is HABbase - but that only works on windows I believe.  An alternative is to build your own decoder to parse your messages and upload to SondeHub.  It could run on the same machine as FL-digi read the telemetry port and upload to Sondehub.

Or that HAB Base can also support the additional fields of the ukhas sentence (temp etc) which would be nice to keep. So I think i'm ok to stick with my tracker? Is that right? or should i really consider switching to LORA or horus binary?

Another issue I was facing is that I live very close to Gatwick Airport. I'm pretty sure that rules out launching anywhere nearby. When looking further afield for a launch site, do you have to have the landowners permission or could I use a public park as an example?
SR: personally I'd always get the landowners permission - if its public land check the by-laws (release of balloons is sometimes covered). I certainly would not use Hydrogen where Joe public can turn up smoking a cigarette.  The CAA permit request now asks if you have got landowner permission - although I'm not sure what happens if you say no.

Thanks for any assistance you could provide.

Phil.

Ross G6GVI

Apr 11, 2023, 10:43:29 AM4/11/23
to UKHAS
During the flight of "X1" last month, I was using FL-DIGI linked to Dave's HAB Base, which was indeed automatically uploading to Sondehub (as G6GVI-B).
However I was simultaneously receiving LoRa (mode 0) from the same antenna and got many more packets from that (compare G6GVI-L on the Grafana chart below) - perhaps because I didn't need to keep manually adjusting the frequency, as I did to track the RTTY signal.

X1 packets.png

On Monday, 10 April 2023 at 21:09:22 UTC+1 G8KHW wrote:
SR: If you already have RTTY working ...  There is HABbase - but that only works on windows I believe.

David Akerman

Apr 11, 2023, 11:23:40 AM4/11/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Re HAB Base only being on Windows, if there's enough interest then I'll do a Mac version.  Let me know if interested.

Dave

Message has been deleted

Phil Newman

Apr 19, 2023, 3:49:48 PM4/19/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant thanks for the encouragement and advice.