was started after we realised that the sondehub.org
(radiosonde tracking) database architecture could be fairly easily used for tracking amateur balloon launches, and easily had enough capacity. Sondehub is fairly expensive to run, however we have taken measures to reduce costs, and we are currently fully funded for at least the next 12 months via a grant from ARDC (ampr.org
- Flight operators can adjust the prediction setting for their payload callsign using an interface on the tracker. This also allows enabling of 'float' predictions.
- In addition to the custom predictions, for payload that are floating, we have a 'float' button (see example here: https://twitter.com/vk5qi/status/1545956263854743552
) which uses the Tawhiri prediction engine to perform a hysplit-like prediction of a floating balloon.
- We have a grafana-based dashboard system ( https://grafana.v2.sondehub.org/d/VeLSoQqnz/flights?orgId=1
) allowing selection, display and export (CSV, KML, JSON) of flight telemetry. This is very new, and needs to be documented and developed further. This also allows for the generation of pie charts :-)
What we do *not* have right now:
- A UKHAS string parser (this is the big one). We see this as being something that should be a 'sidecar' API, with a parser running which then passes data onto the main DB in the appropriate format. This is something that we really need help with. We would be happy to host this, but we don't have much in the way of resources to develop it, or the knowledge of the existing Habitat functionality...
- 'Flight' documents. Within HabHub flight documents are used to put an entry into a calendar, and to make it easier to extract telemetry from the habitat database. In sondehub-amateur, selection and extraction of telemetry is best done via the grafana dashboard interface.
- IRC bots of any kind. If this is wanted, then it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make something that listens to the live output of the database and announces flights.
In short, to make amateur.sondehub.org
a feature-complete replacement for Habhub, we *need help*. We would love to see others in the community contribute to help bring up the functionality of this system.
I'm usually in #highaltitude on libera.chat, but a lot of the development discussion occurs on the SDR Enthusiasts Discord (#radiosonde_auto_rx channel) at: https://discord.gg/JpytGYCs
(noting this link expires in 7 days)