Sasha Tim

Dec 5, 2023, 10:30:37 AM12/5/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com, GP...@groups.io
Hi All,

Looking for some help implementing SSDV on an ESP32.

How should I start? I heard VK5QI mention that it was originally implemented on an Atmega328, so it must be doable...

Any thoughts?

VE3SVF

Mike Sharps

Dec 5, 2023, 12:47:58 PM12/5/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I got ssdv working (transmitting) on an esp-cam board a long while back but didn’t develop it very much further as the camera quality was pretty poor . It Interleaves GPS data between the ssdv packets

I believe Kev Walton developed it quite a bit so you might be better looking at his version in preference.

For receiving it is compatible with the pi in the sky Lora gateway which Dave Akerman developed.

Mark Jessop

Dec 5, 2023, 3:49:32 PM12/5/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure this has already been done by some folks in the Netherlands (PE2BZ was involved I think). I remember then using ESP32Cam modules and LoRa chips to send images.
I think they had issues with pretty poor image quality on the ESP32Cam boards, but otherwise I think it worked.

73
Mark

Kevin Walton

Dec 5, 2023, 4:20:58 PM12/5/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike, I did develop it further and have launched a few of them. Agree image quality not great, but so cheap that it made a great disposable camera tracker - I seem to remember sending several across Europe.

Cheers
Kev
--
Sent from my Android device. Please excuse my brevity.