Launch Announcement for the coming weekend

David Johnson

May 29, 2024, 10:15:19 AMMay 29
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Dave Akerman and I are attending the ElectromagneticField Camp this weekend.

www.emfcamp.org

We are planning two latex balloon launches for which NOTAMS have been applied for.

Both launches from Eastnor Castle Deer Park near Ledbury (52:02:27 / -2:22:41)

Saturday Midday
My flight: LoRa Mode 1 433.92, Payload Badger-EMF

Sunday Midday
Dave A's Flight: LoRa Mode 3 869.85, Payload EMF

More details to follow as we watch the weather forecast.

Regards

Dave Johnson, G4DPZ
Hon. Sec. AMSAT-UK

Steve

May 29, 2024, 10:30:21 AMMay 29
to uk...@googlegroups.com

which is   52.040833, -2.378056

    Steve

On 29/05/2024 15:15, David Johnson wrote:
52:02:27 / -2:22:41

David Akerman

May 31, 2024, 9:15:45 AMMay 31
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Sadly, both launches scrubbed as the predictions are consistently straight down the M5.  Winds at all altitudes pretty much in the same direction so we don't have the ability to get the landings away from the M5 by adjusting the accent rate or burst altitude.

Dave

Steve

May 31, 2024, 9:40:01 AMMay 31
to uk...@googlegroups.com

It happens - you can get days where no matter what you do the landing spot doesn't change much.

Good to see folk being responsible and not chancing it.

    Steve

David Akerman

May 31, 2024, 10:07:32 AMMay 31
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve.  As you say it happens.  The predictions have been consistent for days (so little chance of them changing).  Sometimes you get a nice right-angle in the path and you can move the flight in X and Y with more/less gas, different sized balloons, or even a different size parachute.  Sometimes though none of those make any difference.

Dave