Ofcom Proposed Changes to Licence Conditions

John Laidler

Dec 11, 2023, 1:55:06 PM12/11/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Ofcom have published their proposed changes to UK licence conditions. The link below should take you to the notice they have published where there is a link to a PDF which has the detail.

It contains a proposal to allow up to 500mW EIRP airborne in the ham HF bands for all licence holders. This can be found starting on page 33 of Annex A1. My interpretation of this is it would make "legal" the use of WSPR from a balloon in UK airspace. This should be of interest to pico ballooners but also leaves open the opportunity to use new frequencies from a latex balloon. For example, there is an allocation to use GHz frequencies airborne which might, for those with technical ability (count me out!) open up the possibility of HD images and perhaps even video being transmitted in real time.

The changes have not been enacted yet, there is another round of consultation to be held but things seem to be moving along faster than I expected.

John
M0WIV

Rick Hewett

Dec 12, 2023, 5:03:12 AM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
On Mon 11 Dec John Laidler wrote:
> It contains a proposal to allow up to 500mW EIRP airborne in the ham HF
> bands for all licence holders. This can be found starting on page 33 of
> Annex A1.

Note that's in bands where the amateur service has a primary allocation,
but not in any bands where amateurs are secondary users. Unfortunately
that means the 430 MHz to 440 MHz (70cms) band is not covered by the
change, so HAB users will have to stick with the present ISM licenced
use in that band.

> My interpretation of this is it would make "legal" the use of WSPR
> from a balloon in UK airspace. This should be of interest to pico
> ballooners but also leaves open the opportunity to use new frequencies
> from a latex balloon. For example, there is an allocation to use GHz
> frequencies airborne which might, for those with technical ability
> (count me out!) open up the possibility of HD images and perhaps even
> video being transmitted in real time.

It's also opened up the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands to foundation licencees,
giving them legal accesss to the frequencies used by satellites like
QO-100 (which, while not exactly airborne, is certainly high altitude).

> The changes have not been enacted yet, there is another round of
> consultation to be held but things seem to be moving along faster than
> I expected.

....and this is the stage where other spectrum stakeholders like the
military and the mobile phone companies get a formal chance to make a
representation, the consultation having mainly been aimed at amateurs.

> https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/amateur-radio/amateur-radio-info/licensing-updates

The report on the consultation, including collections of responses (if
you fancy a little light reading) can be found at

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/updating-amateur-radio-licensing-framework

--
73, Rick, M0LEP (aka lazyleopard on #highaltitude IRC)

Steve

Dec 12, 2023, 8:29:07 AM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I can't say I'm hugely enthused by whats on offer - the HF allocations
will be useful to those wanting to do WSPR from balloons - but that's
not where my interests lie personally.  For me the lack of allocation on
70cms, 23cms,13cms .... is a disappointment.

I guess 2m will allow folk wanting to do airborne repeaters (70cms up 2m
down ?) - which might be fun and raise profile of HABing in amateur
fraternity.

The next band above 2m is 12mm (24GHz) - but given this is limited to
500mW EIRP,  free space path loss at 24GHz and water vapour absorption
I'm guessing you are going to need tracking antenna on the ground end.
Perhaps this will drive some interesting developments.

We will have to wait and see if there are any objections from the other
stakeholders - information I've received in the past was that the CAA
were concerned about the closeness of 2m to the airband and that was a
major reason the restrictions where there previously.

    Steve G8KHW
www.avg.com

Steve

Dec 12, 2023, 11:40:30 AM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

One thought that struck me during the response was how HAB transmitters are viewed from the perspective of  Unattended/Remote Operation/Beacon - it seems to me in order to conform to the letter of the regulation that some form of uplink will be needed to meet the requirements to terminate transmissions  "promptly" or "within two hours of being required to do so by Ofcom" - plus there are still geographic restrictions e.g. 144to 146 MHz Not within 50 km of GCHQ Scarborough

    Steve G8KHW

M5AKA

Dec 12, 2023, 12:13:00 PM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Steve, Schedule 2 restrictions have been deleted.

BTW there still time to submit views to Ofcom on the latest proposals

73 Trevor M5AKA

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ukhas/aad89373-2a77-436c-bc25-132afcaf524d%40randomaerospace.com
.

M5AKA

Dec 12, 2023, 12:48:39 PM12/12/23
to 'M5AKA' via UKHAS
Line missing, from last email "It all depends what the Coordination might involve, does it mean one frequency might be coordinated for Aeronautical use near that location? Unfortunately there's no clarity as what exactly will be in the new Notice of Coordination."

Steve

Dec 12, 2023, 1:25:20 PM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Ive not seen any reference to the removal of schedule 2 ?

    Steve G8KHW

Nigel Worsley

Dec 12, 2023, 1:36:42 PM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 at 18:25, Steve <st...@randomaerospace.com> wrote:

Ive not seen any reference to the removal of schedule 2 ?

The last line of schedule 1 says:
[Please note that Schedule 2 has now been replaced with Amateur Radio Notice of Coordination.]

Nigel Worsley M0ZFJ

Rick Hewett

Dec 12, 2023, 1:45:58 PM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
On Tue 12 Dec Steve wrote:
> Ive not seen any reference to the removal of schedule 2 ?

Page 44 of the General Notice says:

"Please note that Schedule 2 has now been replaced with Amateur Radio
Notice of Coordination."

The "Notice of coordination" starts on page 45, and seems to cover very
similar ground...

M5AKA

Dec 12, 2023, 2:41:32 PM12/12/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rick, I'd misread, thought there would be an element of flexibity in coordination so it would be possible to get a single frequency cleared.

Trevor

Rick Hewett

Dec 13, 2023, 3:42:15 AM12/13/23
to uk...@googlegroups.com
On Tue 12 Dec 'M5AKA' via UKHAS wrote:
> Thanks Rick, I'd misread, thought there would be an element of
> flexibity in coordination so it would be possible to get a single
> frequency cleared.

I suspect the point of the "Notice of Coordination" is that it's
something more easily changed because it's not part of the licence
itself, but it gives us one more thing to check...

Steve

Feb 25, 2024, 8:47:10 AMFeb 25
to uk...@googlegroups.com

So the way I read this:

    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2024/amateur-radio-more-freedom-to-innovate?fbclid=IwAR24AIy-dbtxF4hz0FdjZRVCOuOyPwc6u3pZQFWB2OTw3CBaMbsYlT9sPjQ

 is that as of a few days ago (21 Feb 2024) we are now free to use our amateur radio licenses airborne - within the bands and power levels described:

    https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0029/278345/amateur-radio-general-notice-decision.pdf

    Steve G8KHW

Dave (G1OGY)

Feb 25, 2024, 10:11:56 AMFeb 25
to ukhas
That's correct,Steve.
Come next weekend we may elect to turn the 144MHz PA up to 11...

Dave, G1OGY

Steve

Feb 25, 2024, 1:15:22 PMFeb 25
to uk...@googlegroups.com

The way I read it HABs (Unattended Beacons) don't need a Notice of Coordination - as airborne operation is not allowed in the bands that need MOD/CAA co-ordination and may not be operated at all:

    * 50 km of NGR TA 012869 ( GCHQ Scarborough) on 2m band

    * 50 km of NGR SK 985640 (RAF Waddington) and NGR SE202577 (nr Harrogate, North Yorkshire) on 24GHz and 47GHz  bands

Flights that stray into those areas on those frequencies must geo-fence off.

Is that what other folk make of it too?

    Steve G8KHW

Rick Hewett

Feb 25, 2024, 1:41:12 PMFeb 25
to uk...@googlegroups.com
On Mon 26 Feb Dave (G1OGY) wrote:
> Come next weekend we may elect to turn the 144MHz PA up to 11...

....for values of eleven not exceeding 500mW EIRP, anyway. ;)