Horus GUI on MacOs

Steve

Mar 22, 2024, 8:45:17 AMMar 22
to UKHAS
I can't get Horus GUI working on my Macbook air - which is running Big
Sur (MacOs 11.7.10) - it works fine on my old Macbook pro running High
Sierra (MacOs 10.13.6).

It just hangs at startup (spinning colour wheel).  I've installed python3.

Any clues/suggestions/pointers?

    Steve G8KHW

www.avg.com

Mark Jessop

Mar 22, 2024, 9:10:04 AMMar 22
to uk...@googlegroups.com
That's a question probably directed more to me.

I'm guessing you're using one of the app-bundles from here: https://github.com/projecthorus/horus-gui/releases/tag/v0.3.15
If so, there's no need to have any other dependencies - that's all included in the bundle.

I haven't specifically run these builds on big sur - I build the M1 version on my M1 macbook running Monterey, but I build the intel version on my older intel macbook which I think might be running High Sierra. It's possible there's some issue on the in-between versions...

You could try and run up the binary contained within the bundle from a terminal, this might show up any log messages that might be otherwise hidden.
You'd need to open a terminal and navigate into the app bundle (they are really just folders after all), e.g.
cd horus-gui.app/Contents/MacOS
and then run:
./horus-gui

Hopefully something presents itself...

Cheers,
Mark

Steve

Mar 22, 2024, 11:33:39 AMMar 22
to Mark Jessop, UKHAS

On 22/03/2024 13:09, Mark Jessop wrote:

That's a question probably directed more to me.
SR:    :-)

I'm guessing you're using one of the app-bundles from here: https://github.com/projecthorus/horus-gui/releases/tag/v0.3.15
SR: Yes from horus-gui_v0.3.15_OSX_intel.zip  - the Macbook air is an intel i5

If so, there's no need to have any other dependencies - that's all included in the bundle.

I haven't specifically run these builds on big sur - I build the M1 version on my M1 macbook running Monterey, but I build the intel version on my older intel macbook which I think might be running High Sierra. It's possible there's some issue on the in-between versions...

You could try and run up the binary contained within the bundle from a terminal, this might show up any log messages that might be otherwise hidden.
You'd need to open a terminal and navigate into the app bundle (they are really just folders after all), e.g.
cd horus-gui.app/Contents/MacOS
and then run:
./horus-gui

SR: all I get is:

MacBook-Air:desktop steve$ cd horus-gui.app/Contents/MacOS

MacBook-Air:MacOS steve$ ./horus-gui

2024-03-22 14:59:22,761 INFO: Starting GUI.

2024-03-22 14:59:22,957 ERROR: Audio - Unknown Audio Device

2024-03-22 14:59:22,960 ERROR: Audio - Unknown Audio Device

2024-03-22 14:59:22,961 INFO: Sondehub Amateur Uploader - Started Sondehub Amateur Uploader Thread.

2024-03-22 14:59:22,963 INFO: Started GUI.

2024-03-22 14:59:23,643 INFO: Sondehub Amateur Uploader - Uploaded station information to Sondehub.

Then it hangs.

Just using the built in Audio devices

    Steve

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 11:15 PM Steve <st...@randomaerospace.com> wrote:
I can't get Horus GUI working on my Macbook air - which is running Big
Sur (MacOs 11.7.10) - it works fine on my old Macbook pro running High
Sierra (MacOs 10.13.6).

It just hangs at startup (spinning colour wheel).  I've installed python3.

Any clues/suggestions/pointers?

     Steve G8KHW

www.avg.com

Mark Jessop

Mar 25, 2024, 12:31:23 AMMar 25
to Steve, UKHAS
Sorry, I missed this response.

This error is odd and concerning:

2024-03-22 14:59:22,957 ERROR: Audio - Unknown Audio Device

That suggests that it might either have some odd device setup in the configuration, or that it's not seeing any audio device at all.

You could try clearing the configuration with:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.project-horus.Horus-GUI.plist

.. but I'm not sure that's going to help here. Maybe worth a shot though.

If it's not seeing any audio devices at all, then that suggests it might be an OSX permissions issue. I'm unsure if the 'quarantine' fix listed on the release info page ( https://github.com/projecthorus/horus-gui/releases/tag/v0.3.15 ) will make a difference here.

73
Mark

Steve

Mar 26, 2024, 4:12:17 PMMar 26
to uk...@googlegroups.com, Mark Jessop

No  further forward I'm afraid:

MacBook-Air:MacOS steve$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.project-horus.Horus-GUI.plist

MacBook-Air:MacOS steve$ cd horus-gui.app/Contents/MacOS

MacBook-Air:MacOS steve$ pwd

/Users/steve/desktop/horus-gui.app/Contents/MacOS

MacBook-Air:MacOS steve$ ./horus-gui

2024-03-26 20:00:50,756 INFO: Starting GUI.

2024-03-26 20:00:50,956 ERROR: Audio - Unknown Audio Device

2024-03-26 20:00:50,968 INFO: Current configuration saved.

2024-03-26 20:00:50,969 ERROR: Audio - Unknown Audio Device

2024-03-26 20:00:50,970 INFO: Sondehub Amateur Uploader - Started Sondehub Amateur Uploader Thread.

2024-03-26 20:00:50,974 INFO: Started GUI.

2024-03-26 20:00:51,764 INFO: Sondehub Amateur Uploader - Uploaded station information to Sondehub.

    Steve

Mark Jessop

Mar 26, 2024, 5:27:14 PMMar 26
to Steve, uk...@googlegroups.com
Bugger.

That suggests that the pyaudio library isn't finding any audio devices... and I'm really not sure why that would be the case.
Without access to a Mac with that version of OSX it's going to be difficult for me to debug this, sorry :-(

Sasha Tim

Mar 26, 2024, 5:33:33 PMMar 26
to uk...@googlegroups.com, Steve
Perhaps use pyaudio and try to list all available devices?

Or, you can try

import sounddevice as sd
sd.query_devices()

...assuming that you have sounddevice installed (with pip3 install sounddevice).

Steven Dodd

May 9, 2024, 4:55:15 PMMay 9
to uk...@googlegroups.com, Steve
Interestingly, I had the same problem on my Intel Mac a few months back . I gave up trying to figure it out and installed on windows.

I have since upgraded my Mac to an M1 model the software launches and detect the sound devices however no audio seems to make its way into the application. I'm using black hole 16 channel and can hear the audio quite clearly if I use QuickTime player, horns-gui

The input level starts at around 0 db and goes down to -99 with a no audio? beside it.

Mark Jessop

May 9, 2024, 6:39:15 PMMay 9
to uk...@googlegroups.com, Steve
This kind of thing is an ongoing battle for me..
What should happen is when you start decoding for the first time, MacOS should throw up a popup box asking for permission to use your microphone (well, input audio devices in general).
For whatever reason, on some OSX versions this doesn't happen, and I have no idea why. I don't know if there's a way to manually give audio permissions to a particular app either.
If permissions aren't available, the app just gets null audio samples, hence the input level dropping down to -99.

I was hoping the latest builds that are being done through Github actions would help solve this, but maybe not?

73
Mark

Steven Dodd

May 11, 2024, 3:19:47 PMMay 11
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I can see that the microphone permission is granted in the system settings.