Launch permission question

Tom Wardill

Jun 10, 2024, 9:13:02 AMJun 10
to uk...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We just got our first CAA launch permission. In it, it says:
> At least 72 hours’ notice of the proposed launch date/time must be given to the CAA's Airspace
Regulation section (email: ar...@caa.co.uk), and to Cambridge Airport,
quoting the reference at the top of this permission, to enable NOTAM
action to be taken.

and

> This Exemption/Permission shall have effect between Daylight hours only, from 15-June-2024 to 16 June-2024 unless previously revoked, varied or suspended.

This is a little unclear about the 72 hours notice. Does that mean we
have to give 72 hours notice for an _exact_ time (i.e. 11:00 Saturday
15th), or 72 hours notice for the whole window they have given us?

Expect a follow on Launch Announcement email :)
--
Tom Wardill

Steve

Jun 10, 2024, 10:14:31 AMJun 10
to uk...@googlegroups.com

You ask for a NOTAM window - some or all of your permit duration (if its short).  Look for a launch window 3 - 4 days out and apply for the NOTAM when it looks like you can fly.  If it turns out that the forecasts change then email them to cancel the NOTAM request:

Here is what I email to ARops for a recent launch at Elsworth:

Subject: 2023-07-nnnn Meteorological Balloon Launch Elsworth Cambridgeshire Monday 27th May 2024

Please raise the NOTAM associated with Meteorological Balloon EXEMPTION/PERMISSION 2023-07-nnnn (attached) for 10am - 5pm  local time (09:00 to 16:00 UTC) Monday 27th.

Kind Regards

    Steve Randall

I always include a copy of the permit.  Be sure to give them at least 72 hours notice of the window start as they have got a bit pedantic about it.

    Steve G8KHW